We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Original Video", "Cheapy" or "Widesight" websites?

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scotand, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
"Original Video", "Cheapy" or "Widesight" websites?

Hi, does anyone know if the shops "Original Video", "Cheapy" or "Widesight" have official websites? This is so I can get a better idea of the kind of prices which they charge. I've been Googling, but no luck!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Original Video", "Cheapy" or "Widesight" websites?

Maybe not. How about HMV?

http://www.hmv.com.hk/

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,229 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Original Video", "Cheapy" or "Widesight" websites?

I do not believe these stores would have a website. HK people buy most items at the stores, not online, so having an online store is not necessary.

For DVD's of newer titles, expect an average cost of HK$150 or so. Older titles or movies that are not well-received could be $80. Really old ones that are not classics can be bought for anywhere from $20 to $50.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,088 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Original Video", "Cheapy" or "Widesight" websites?

No websites. (There's not really a need for their business)

But what I find is Widesight is more expensive.

Cheapy is cheapest among the three, but Widesight seems to have more titles.

I bought BRAND new movies from Cheapy for $ 120.... and the Chinese movies are about $ 80.

Scotand, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Original Video", "Cheapy" or "Widesight" websites?

Thanks for your replies.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,229 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Original Video", "Cheapy" or "Widesight" websites?

Widesight oringinated from a couple of shops in Mong Kok and has now opened several brances in other popular locations such as Tsim Sha Tsui and Causeway Bay. It definitely has the widest selection among the discount shops.

At the CC Wu Building at 302-308 Hennessy Road (midway between Causeway Bay and Wan Chai MTR stations), inside the upper floor of the shopping arcade, there is a farily small CD/DVD shop. It has the cheapest prices usually but titles might be limited. The store is too small to do much browsing. Just ask the staff whether the titles you want are available.

6. Re: "Original Video", "Cheapy" or "Widesight" websites?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 10:20