We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excelsior v Sailsbury

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Excelsior v Sailsbury

Looking at hotels for an 8 night stay in December and have narrowed it down to Excelsior or Sailsbury YMCA.

Is the Excelsior worth the extra expense? (nearly $1000AUD more over the 8 nights). How do the positions of each hotel compare? And does nayone think there are other properties we should consider in a similar price range?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
120 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excelsior v Sailsbury

Excelsior is located at Causeway Bay, HK Island side near MTR (underground train) and shopping malls. Sailsbury YMCA is located at Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon also close to MTR and shopping malls. Both places are the centres of HK with good accessibility. Since both hotels are similar, Excelsior is NOT worth of the extra expense. Sailsbury is a good hotel and don't be misled by its "YMCA" name. By no mean it is a hostel, and instead it is a nice 4-star hotel I think.

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Excelsior v Sailsbury

Have a look at Lanson Place Hotel.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,105 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excelsior v Sailsbury

I would choose YMCA over Excelsior. Excelsior is getting really run down... unless they renovate big time... I wouldn't stay there, and for that price! Not worth it. However, Excelsior is the only hotel in my opinion that is perfectly located in Causeway Bay...

YMCA Salisbury, clean, and comfortable rooms. Nothing luxurious or fancy. Only the higher floors would have harbourview.

Leicester
Level Contributor
455 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excelsior v Sailsbury

Have to agree with the previous post. If you do go for the Salisbury, which in my opinion is perfectly, located ask for a room on at least the 8th floor if you have a harbour or partial harbour view

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excelsior v Sailsbury

thanks for all your help

I think we will go with the sailsbury - we have a booking for a harbour view room

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
748 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excelsior v Sailsbury

I'm sure you'll be very happy. the location is fantastic and close to Star Ferry, Nathan Road etc. Right next to the Peninsula Hotel. You can't go wrong.

7. Re: Excelsior v Sailsbury

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 08:15