We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are the Ngong Ping 360 cable cars still closed?

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Are the Ngong Ping 360 cable cars still closed?

Was sad to hear about the suspension of services of NP 360 since June. Is is still closed? Would anyone know why it was suspended and any info on when it will reopen?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are the Ngong Ping 360 cable cars still closed?

The lastest official report was the it was "likely to reopen by year end".

Do a google search for news items why it was closed - too much detail to go into here.

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Are the Ngong Ping 360 cable cars still closed?

Yes, it is still closed.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
53,696 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are the Ngong Ping 360 cable cars still closed?

Skyrail is "likely" to reopen by the end of year. This was the announcement made last week.

OKC
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Are the Ngong Ping 360 cable cars still closed?

My understanding is that it closed after a car feel off. Fortunately the car was empty.

I have ridden it twice, definitely worth

going on when it reopens.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,414 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Are the Ngong Ping 360 cable cars still closed?

The Ngong Ping cable car reopened on 31 December.

England
Level Contributor
163 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are the Ngong Ping 360 cable cars still closed?

Part of me is delighted that the cable cars are open again - as it seems to be a must do expereince - but I am anxious about safety - or is this one of those cases where right now its probably the safest ever as it will have been checked and rechecked?

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,414 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Are the Ngong Ping 360 cable cars still closed?

Following the incident the original operators, Skyrail were "sacked" and a new operating company (MTR Corp, who also own the system)appointed.

The incident is subject of a prosecution for criminal negligence;

www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail.asp…

The cable car systems design and supervision were found to be sound in a report into the incident. However the new operators have implemented various measures including increasing the number of days the system will be closed annually for maintenance from 3 to 12, increasing the number of maintenance, replacing components and overhauling the sensor system and safety tests were passed before the system reopened.

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are the Ngong Ping 360 cable cars still closed?

We went on this this week and I was terrified all the way up and down but having survived the experience I'm glad I did it.

But that's because I am terrified of heights. We were lucky, none of the others in our cars moved around so there was no scary rocking. Some cars we passed had youngsters moving from side to side and that would have freaked me out totally. Maybe ask for a quiet car Celi?

Planet Venus
Level Contributor
2,783 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are the Ngong Ping 360 cable cars still closed?

The ride will take approximately 30 minutes and it is a slow ride.

I read that the cabins have a capacity of 17 people (about 4-5 people in a seat row x 2 so 8-10 people sitting while the rest would be standing up) so I assume that during very peak days, they will cram as many people in a cabin.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,414 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Are the Ngong Ping 360 cable cars still closed?

Some groups prefer to stick together and ride in a single cabin even though the seating capacity has been exceeded but nobody has to ride in a cabin where seats are not available unless they want to.

There are often cabins with as few as two occupants even at busy times.