We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good hostels in HK

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
223 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
good hostels in HK

Iam looking for a good hostels to stay for a couple of nights in Hongkong preferably in the city centre as iam on tight budget.. Would be highly thankful if you can suggest a few with contact details like e-mail, phone no etc

Thanks in advance.

Planet Venus
Level Contributor
2,783 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: good hostels in HK

www.hadla.gov.hk for a list of licensed guest houses and hostels

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
223 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: good hostels in HK

Thank you for your reply.The site is really useful.

However i would like to get the recommendation for a couple of hostels from travellers who had stayed there. Their comments would be of immense value

Thanks again.

Kaoshiung
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: good hostels in HK

Hi Welcomeindia,

When are you going to Hong Kong? If you are going on Decemeber, then, there will be peak time extra charge in hotels/hostels etc..

During my recent re-vist to Hong Kong this Oct 1-5th. I found and finally stayed in a newly opened serviced apartment-- named Embassy Hotel Service Apartment.

Friendly staff, the room is clean and tidy, with daily housekeeping, Wifi, TV, and shampoo, toothbush, soap etc.. provided in daily basis.

With 3 persons, we booked a twin room at 300 HKD per night, and 3 persons were allowed to share the room with no extra charge! .

The apartment is located at convenience location of mongkok shopping area. 1-2 minute from the Mongkok underground station and airport bus is in front door of the hotel. it is cool and good value for money options for short term budgeted travellers. One point to notice is.. the bed size is ok, while the room space is limited.

Check it out !

http://www.embassyhotelhk.com/

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: good hostels in HK

There is NO peak charge time for hostels in Hong Kong. Most of them charge the same rates throughout the year, although at busy times they will be more full.

The link provider earlier is useful, but is just a list.

Much more useful in my opinion is this guide from a guy who has actually been to the hostels. See:

http://chaskemp.googlepages.com/hongkongguide

Planet Venus
Level Contributor
2,783 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: good hostels in HK

yup but a very good start. plus he wanted some contact nos.

the list of accomodation is also accredited by the hk gov't so one can discern which ones are legit operations

so it is a good reference.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: good hostels in HK

To me, I will choose so-called boutique or hip hotels if i am on tight budget, but seems that HK doesnt have many boutique hotels, and they are more expensive than usual in other countries, I don't know why.

You can check hotels in Wan Chai districts as there are many cheap but clean and comfort hotels such as Cosmo and King's Hotel.

I think you can check at http://www.smarttravelasia.com/hkhotel.htm

It contains the hotel contacts, room rate and reviews from the editorial selections, which can narrow down your choice from huge bunch of hotels list in hk, but some of them are expensive you can just ignore them.

Hope this is find you well.

New York
Level Contributor
358 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: good hostels in HK

Here is some information about hostels in TsimShaTsui. Some people on the forum before have recommended these hostel/guesthouses:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294217-i1496-k373…

Here is one more guesthouse you might want to look into as well:

Dragon Hostel (Mongkok): http://www.dragonhostel.com/

You might want to use the search function on Tripadvisor.com to see if there is any info on these hostels/guesthouses. If not, go their websites or try Google for more information. Some hostel/guesthouse reviews are on http://www.tripadvisor.com/ (see Hotels --> then click on the tab "Other Lodging"). Hope this helps.

Kaoshiung
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: good hostels in HK

Due to working reasons, I've been travelling between Taiwan to HongKong UK and Japan frequently. As per my experience, there have always been a great deal of variation in hotel prices in Japan and Hong Kong. And Hong Kong is being regarded as place with SEA-FOOD pricing for accomondations.

There will definitely be increase in hotel prices during exhibition, new year and other major Chinese or western holidays. This can easily be recognized if you compare the price of any hotel (from no star to five stars) betweem its weekday and weekend price, or the price of any other months v.s the price in Oct, Nov, decemeber or any major holiday!!

Hotel and hostels in Causeway area are generally up to a certain standard of quality, while they usually charge a relatively higher price per head, and prices go crazy during exhibition period. Hostels in Tism Sha Tsiu and MongKok are much cheaper in price, however, the quality might vary from one hostel/hotel to another. Thus, comprehsive Internet search is recommended if you been to Hong kong for the frist or 2nd time. More research is the only key to get yourself a nice place of stay in good price.

Beside, the Embassy Hotel (Service Apartment) in Mongkok, I personally would recommed the Yes-In hotel in Causeway Bay and the Bridial Tea house hotel. Those are the one with good reputation from my own experience as well as of my firends.

Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: good hostels in HK

does anyone have pictures of the Embassy Hotel? do you book the hotel through email direcctly?

Planet Venus
Level Contributor
2,783 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: good hostels in HK

how about the caritas?

www.caritas-chs.org.hk/eng/hostel/index.htm