We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mtr Map

London
Level Contributor
53 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Mtr Map

Does anyone know where on the internet I can get a decent copy of the Hong Kong MTR map?

I'm no internet idiot but I have spent about an hour searching!! and I just can't find one that will print on one page. please help!!

Thank you

Xiamen, China
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mtr Map

www.mtr.com.hk/eng/train/system_map.html

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mtr Map

If it can't print on a page, try saving it as a file first and then print the file.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mtr Map

Hi, going to MTR website, you will get the map, however,as advised by a TA member, best to "save page as" in your my documents,then print out from there,and of course using your printing properties.

Nonetheless, no fear, when you buy your Octopus card, you can get a map,and also a little booklet explaining how to use and take care of the card,so that you do not forfeit your refundable deposit.Even a plastic transparent wrapper is provided to you.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mtr Map

There is a good map in Wiki (as well as some other interesting information).

The Hong Kong MTR is nothing like the London Tube - it is supremely easy to get around the MTR and you can memorise the necessary stations quite easily. There is also a full map above the exit on each train carriage.

Australia
Level Contributor
817 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mtr Map

On the map itself there are a few symbols I am curious about.

Specifically: On Admiralty, Quarry Bay, Yau Tong and Prince Edward stns there are "curved lines" adjacent to the station names and on Mong Kok, North Point, Tiu Keng Long and Central "straight lines".

I am guessing these stations are interchanges but why the 2 sorts of symbols?

I thought maybe the straight lines were terminating stations but Yau Ma Tei doesn't have any "straight lines"

Thanks

Australia
Level Contributor
817 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mtr Map

oops - forgot this www.mtr.com.hk/eng/train/system_map.html

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,245 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mtr Map

The little lines indicate the most convenient direction for changing lines at an interchange station. For example, if you were going from Kowloon Tong to Tsim Sha Tsui, you should change at Mong Kok station; whereas if you were going to Sham Shui Po, you should change at Prince Edward. You can still change trains at other interchange stations (e.g. Yau Ma Tei), but it would not be cross-platform (i.e. you will have to walk up or down one level).

Australia
Level Contributor
817 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mtr Map

"For example, if you were going from Kowloon Tong to Tsim Sha Tsui, you should change at Mong Kok station; whereas if you were going to Sham Shui Po, you should change at Prince Edward"

I don't understand how you can deduce that from the 2 different symbols?

What's the difference between the straight and curved symbols?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,184 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mtr Map

I think Glacierfed explained it quite well. I am not sure what other questions you have? For example, Admiralty is the preferred interchange from Tsuen Wan Line to stations on the Island Line east of Admiralty. For stations west of Admiralty, you stay on the train. Likewise, from Tsuen Wan Line to Kwun Tong Line, you change at Prince Edward. If you change at Mong Kok, you'd have to ride one more station.

Australia
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mtr Map

<<<I don't understand how you can deduce that from the 2 different symbols?>>>

When you live in HK like these TA members/Experts do, it becomes common knowledge, so, I'd definitely trust their advice. :)

Have an AMAZING time in HK! :D