We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

40th Birthday trip

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cardiff
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
1 review
Save Topic
40th Birthday trip

Hi all,

I know how great a site this is and post my tips on the Dubai forum, so I hope all you Hong Kong experts can help me out.

Its my wifes 40th Birthday in October and she wants to go some where and do an expierience type holiday instead of my perfect holiday which is in the Maldives or Dubai doing nothing.

We want to do Hong Kong, China and Singapore.

My Questions are:

Which way around would you go, HK, China, Singapore?

We like nice hotels with a decent view in a popular area, where is best in HK (and Singapore).A friend stayed in a great hotel over looking the habour, is this a good area?

We also are great foodies, any suggestions on fancy restaurants?

and no, I'm not going to ask what the weather is like ;0) lol

Thanks

Tony

Singapore
Level Contributor
127 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 40th Birthday trip

Hello, welcome to Singapore :)

Hotels along Orchard Roads are usually 4 to 5 stars (international standard)and buzzing with activities.

Marina area(further south) is another good option whereby you can have some 'seaview'. However, the ongoing construction of the Intergrated Resort(IR) maybe an eyesore to some.

My personal favourite is the Shangri-la Sentosa at Sentosa Island.Ask for a high-floor seaview room. Relaxing at the balcony and seeing the lights from the passing ships during the night is lovely.Hey, do say you are there to celebrate a special occassion so that they will try all their means to get you the highest floor seaview room available.

Foods!!!! Everywhere....from economical hawker centre, food court to classy resturants.My personal favourite is Tung Lok Group resturants which is mainly Cantonese chinese style.

ps: did you also post this in Singapore forum also?

Planet Venus
Level Contributor
2,783 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 40th Birthday trip

hk and china is poles apart from singapore - location wise

so i would do hk, china or china, hk first and then go to singapore or do singapore first, then hk, china

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 40th Birthday trip

How many days do you have?

cardiff
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 40th Birthday trip

14 nights altogether was thinking of 4 nights each in HK and Singapore and a week touring China.

Does this sound OK ?

tony

cardiff
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 40th Birthday trip

Thanks 5678,

so you recommend China to be the middle destination I take it.

I realise that singapore wasa way away from Hk and China, just wasnt sure if it may be better to do Singapore/HK/China

tony

Planet Venus
Level Contributor
2,783 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 40th Birthday trip

depends on your itinerary, and flight availability

hk - china - singapore OR

china - hk - singapore OR

singapore - china - hk OR

singapore - hk - china

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 40th Birthday trip

And your week in China could be spent visiting Beijing and Xi'an, or Beijing and Shanghai.

Assuming you are coming from the UK, Singapore Airlines would make sense. For the China trip, I'd look into booking separate flights with Dragon Airlines to Beijing or wherever it is you go.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
910 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 40th Birthday trip

4 days in singapore is a lot imo.3 is enough.

I would deffo do the raffles tea if i was u and ur wife though. Get there at the start and ensure you get the English option.

cardiff
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 40th Birthday trip

Cheers Celticwarrior, what part of Cardiff do you hail from?

Tony

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
910 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 40th Birthday trip

Penylan , yourself.

Btw i noted in your original post u wanted waterfront hotels but look up the langham place hotel in HK. Its 5 star and affordable . I have stayed there before and will be doing so again in august.