We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM's in HK and UK Banks

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
729 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
ATM's in HK and UK Banks

I get the feeling from the previous posts that using an ATM in HK is the better option.

Does anyone know which UK Banks do not charge to ATM use in HK?

My bank do charge, but I still have enough time to open a account with a different bank

Thanks

Dr J

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,092 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM's in HK and UK Banks

Nationwide and I believe Post Office also have an account which doesn't charge for foreign transactions,

hong kong
Level Contributor
15 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM's in HK and UK Banks

we have HSBC in hong kong,

When i am in london i use ATM , HSBC hk charge me about 20hk dollars ...1.5 pound for charge.

so i think you should contact hsbc in uk.

By the way we have other bank call

Hang Seng Bank in Hong Kong wich is sister company of HSBC

Lancashire
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM's in HK and UK Banks

We used our Nationwide Flex Account to withdraw money from ATM's in Hong Kong. We got a really competitive exchange rate and no charges at all.

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM's in HK and UK Banks

HSBC Premier account also doesn't charge on cash withdrawals using HSBC ATMs in Hong Kong.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
492 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM's in HK and UK Banks

Just a pointer on UK HSBC cards, we have tried on numerous occassions to use ours in HK, and always tell our local branch in the UK before we visit HK. Each and every time HSBC have put a block on our cards.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
688 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM's in HK and UK Banks

Nationwide Flex Account. It is like a bank account, you have to have money in to take it out. When you withdraw abroad you usually get very close to the "we buy at rate" rather than the "we sell at rate". And no charges at all.

London
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: ATM's in HK and UK Banks

Don't know if I am a bit late, but just wanted to say that Nationwide do not charge.

I have a FlexAccount with them (current account) - although when I used my card over in HK all the ATMs I used would warn me that I *may* be charged, when I came back and checked my statement I didn't have any charges.

8. Re: ATM's in HK and UK Banks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 23:15