We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Octopus card - what is it?

wayne,nj
Level Contributor
194 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Octopus card - what is it?

Octopus card - what is it? , why should i get it.

will be 4 of us , for 2 nights, 2.5 days.

worth getting? how much? how do you use? what is it?

thanks

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
76 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Octopus card - what is it?

Octopus is a multi-purpose paying card that can be used on almost all of the public transportations in Hong Kong. You prepay a certain amount, or you can buy one of the tourist cards that you can keep afterwards for souvenir.

It is very convenient to have if you plan to use public transportation. You use it to enter the subway/MTR system. You use it on all buses and minibuses, so you don't need exact change (if you pay in cash, they don't give you change). You can even use it at McDonalds or 7-11.

So, if you plan to use a lot of public transportation, it is good to have. The only thing that it doesn't work for are taxis.

Canada
Level Contributor
6,337 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Octopus card - what is it?

it is a prepaid credit/debit card that allows you to travel on almost all of hong kongs public transit systems go to

http://www.hong-kong-travel.org/Octopus.asp for lots of good info.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,597 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Octopus card - what is it?

Tells you all about it here;

www.hongkongextras.com/octopuscard.html

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Octopus card - what is it?

It's definitely worth getting one. They can even be read through wallets and even through the bottom of a purse when going through the MTR or KCR. I've had the same Octopus card for 4 years and every time I go to HK I use it everywhere. They are not typically used for large purchases (I don't know anyone who keeps a huge balance on their card), but if you are using them for small purchases they are simply amazing. More and more of the "everyday" stores and shops are using them: Watson's, Park N Shop, McDonalds, Cafe de Coral, etc.

5. Re: Octopus card - what is it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 23:18