We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is the best dim sum?

Singapore
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Topic
Where is the best dim sum?

Hi there,

If i only have time to try one place for DIM SUM, which one should I go?

I have eaten at Maxims couple of times, so this will not be on my list.

thx

leeds, uk
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
385 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is the best dim sum?

juk yuen, on kimberly road, tsim sha tsui

head towards miramar shopping centre/ hotel, you'll see kimberley road

walk down kimberley road on the left hand side

walk past knutsford terrace, another 5 minutes down you'll see a small illuminated sign that says juk yuen and a picture of bamboo

it is quite expensive for hong kong prices, but to us from uk, its cheap!!!

try the shark's fin dumpling soup $38

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,105 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is the best dim sum?

Dynasty- Renaissance Harbourview Hotel (HK island Wan Chai). $$$$

Fu Ho- 4th floor in Mirarmar Shopping Center $$$$

Ho Choi Seafood Restaurant- many branches. $$

Just MY opinion.

New York
Level Contributor
204 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is the best dim sum?

Here is a description of the best dim sum eating we did in Hong Kong on our trip in April:

We headed for Tao Heung in the Silvercord Mall (2367 1328 3/F., Carnavon Plaza, 20-20C, Carnavon Road),The dim sum was wonderful. There were no carts, but if you know what you like the order forms have numbers and after perusing the menu which had English and matching up the numbers, I ordered an assortment including Rice Roll, Shrimp and Chive Rice Roll, BBQ Pork Bun, Premium Siu Mei, Steamed Glutinous Rice and Chicken, Steamed Shrimp Dumplings “Tao Heung,” Steamed Dumplings “Chiu Chow Style,” and Egg Custard Cake. Prices per dish ranged from 6.80 to 11.80 HKD.

Since we got there about 10:30, we paid the breakfast price and the entire brunch came to 124 HKD (about $16), one of the great bargains of our trip for the quantity and quality of what we ate. Tao Heung was filled with what appeared to be local residents and I didn’t see any Westerners in the large restaurant. Note that there are several restaurants on the third floor, so make sure you are in the right place.)

I would go there again without question... great place for dim sum!

Linda

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,105 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is the best dim sum?

Tao Heung in my opinion is a good place for "affordable" prices, and easy access because they have many branches. Not bad at all.

However, since the question was "best place" for Dim sum. It's not going to be the cheapest.

Ho Choi is actually amazingly good, and cheaper than Tao heung though. Not better than Dynasty or Fu Ho though.

Fook Lam Moon ( wan chai) branch is also very good.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,182 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is the best dim sum?

I agree with all of Kate's recommendation. I also agree that Tao Heung is more of a good budget restaurant but not necessarily great in terms of quality.

As an alternative, you may wish to try Shanghai-style dim sum (xiao lung bao or steamed pork dumplings with soup, fried pork dumplings, Shanghai spring rolls, steamed veggie dumplings, steamed buns, etc). A couple good places include:

Wu Kong (Times Square, Causeway Bay or Peking Road, Tsim Sha Tsui)

Snow Garden (Sunning Road across from Lee Garden, Causeway Bay)

Singapore
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is the best dim sum?

Hi katetam,

Which is the best out of the 3 places which you have recommended? If i have extra days, i do not mind trying all. :) Unfortunately, i only have time to savour dim sum once during my short stay in HK.

thx

Bwt, when is the best time to eat? weekends? no no?

what abt the timing?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,182 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is the best dim sum?

Dynasty has the best dim sum of the three suggestions given by Kate. Expect about $150 per head. The restaurant gets very full so be sure to book for a table. Don't expect to walk in to get a seat.

Dim sum at Dynasty is strictly a lunch affair. I suggest you go on the weekend when they have more choices.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,105 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where is the best dim sum?

Yup, Sammy and I have always agreed, Dynasty it is !!!

I prefer HK island's side one because of the view, and high ceiling, and spacious surroundings. The Kowloon one is low ceiling, old decor, but food is almost just as great.

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,139 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where is the best dim sum?

how come i dont see lin heung being recommended?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,182 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where is the best dim sum?

Lin Heung is an old style Chinese restaurant located next to the escalator at Central/Sheung Wan, on the same street as Luk Yu Tea House. I have tried to go there but it's so old style that we couldn't get a table! You have to stand behind somebody who you think it's about to leave and then get a seat. There is no line control--everybody's on their own. It's too much stress and too little service in my opinion. TV programs always rave about it and it doesn get generally good local reviews. Interestingly, also keep in mind that Luk Yu always gets recommended although it serves horrendous dim sum in my opinion.