We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 2 weeks in Hong Kong too long??

Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Is 2 weeks in Hong Kong too long??

Hi All,Heading for HK in November and the question is should we,(2 middle aged couples)spend 2 weeks in HK or split between a week in Sanya and a week in HK?? Is there enough to do and see?? We are all fairly fit, enjoy eating,drinking,sight seeing and behaving like 18 year olds!!(I wish we were!)All comments greatly appreciated.

Cheers Neil.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is 2 weeks in Hong Kong too long??

I love Hong Kong, but I think that most would find one week sufficient - I would split your time into two 1-week sections. :)

leeds, uk
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
385 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is 2 weeks in Hong Kong too long??

first question, do you have any relatives?

second question, do you have a budget?

if you've got relatives, 2 weeks would be just be about right

if you HAVEN'T got a budget then 2 weeks would also be great!!

think of it like this...peak/ ocean park one day

ocean terminal sight seeing round tst eating/ one day

outlet shopping disneyland 1-2 days

eletrical shopping, mong kok, langham places shopping on day

hong kong island...sight seeing/horse racing(?) one day

shenzhen shopping one day

macau 1-2 days

sai kung national park 1 day, if you love it (2 days, i could live in sai kung)

tai mei tuk/ tai po one day

kowloon park, wona tai sin one day

repulse bay, stanly one day

lantau island...one day

see there's pleanty to do!!!

world
Level Contributor
284 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is 2 weeks in Hong Kong too long??

Depends on what you want to do, I think -- are you planning on going into Macau for an overnight? Any other trips into the mainland? Disneyland overnight? In general, I agree that a week would be enough unless there's other things you want to do off Kowloon/Central.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
871 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is 2 weeks in Hong Kong too long??

I think for the more discerning visitor, two weeks can easily be filled especially if you go to Macau for a couple of days too. Two weeks is definitely not too long if you ake the effort to explore parts of the NT as well. There is plenty to do and see. But, given that you have a chance to go to Sanya as well, then why not make the most of your holiday and go there too.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is 2 weeks in Hong Kong too long??

A week in Sanya will be a waste. IMO I would do Hong Kong, Macau and Guangzhou - splitting my time in Hong Kong to start, then to Macau for 2 or 3 nights, say, at the Venetian or Wynn, then back to HKG, then to Guangzhou by train for 2 nights, then back to HKG, then home. If not Guangzhou, then you could even catch a flight to Nanjing, Shanghai, etc for a few days.

Sanya might be okay for a couple of nights, but I really don't think you could spend a week there. A week in Hong Kong for most people I know is barely enough to scratch the surface.

Enjoy!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
627 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is 2 weeks in Hong Kong too long??

we were in Sanya last Nov. i would agree with HK71 that 2/3 days is good enough unless you really like the beach and the beach there was not that clean when we were there. if you plan to go to sanya, this means that you will need a chinese visa. make sure you get that before you leave australia. why not go to guilin?? the scenery there is spectecular.

Blue Mountains...
Level Contributor
557 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is 2 weeks in Hong Kong too long??

we too are middle aged aussies and we had 9 days in January and still didn't see everything. At least some things on the list are there for next time.

Just make sure you get out to the islands and new territories.

My friends just visualized HK as shopping and skyscrapers and were amazed by some of our beautiful landscape photos.

P@

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is 2 weeks in Hong Kong too long??

Couldn't agree more Neil. I have been there many times over the years and will be going again soon . Although we have seen a fair bit , we will be going for 2 weeks this time . Have done research and I know we can fill in the time plus have some rest days. Can't comment on Sanya. Do some research and then go and enjoy my favourite place!

Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is 2 weeks in Hong Kong too long??

Thanks to all!! I will refine the message: We were looking at 12 nights in Sanya + 7 nights Hong Kong,

would you switch this around?? In reply to c-b-a(great advice!!)

1:Cousin in a one bed flat (no use!!)

2:Possibly!!

3:Forget it !!

4:Possibly!!

5 - 17 All sound good

Thanks again to all

Neil

leeds, uk
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
385 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is 2 weeks in Hong Kong too long??

so disneyland is out of the question and you do have relatives in hk?

then i think 2 weeks is (not) enough lol

yeah go for it!!!

i mean you dont have to stick to any itinery, as you may discover places you want to go to

but staying 2 weeks will give you more time to explore the unforeseen tourist places... like sai kung

i love sai kung... my dad was born in a village called tai long wan... and its a beautiful (tiring) walk in!!!

but when you get there!!

god the scenery!!!

some pics and tips here

www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=15249011929