We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lantau!

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
293 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Lantau!

How long should I spend time in Lantau? Is it a day too much for this place?

Thanks

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,137 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lantau!

A day is not too long. A good round trip to explore Lantau is to take the MTR to Tung Chung. From Tung Chung take the Ngong Ping 360 cable car to Ngong Ping where you can spend a couple of hours at the "Giant Buddha", Po Lin Monastery, Ngong Ping Village and Wisdom Path. From Tung Chung you can take the bus or taxi for the short journey to the fishing village of Tai O with its stilt houses where you can also spend a couple of hours exploring this fascinating village. From Tai O take the bus along the south coast of the island to Mui Wo and from Mui Wo take the slow ferry to Hong Kong Island (Central Ferry Piers)and enjoy the cruise past islands and through the harbour on the open sundeck. Alternatively you can do the trip the other way round but the last cable car from Ngong Ping to Tung Chung is 6pm (6-30pm at weekends).

http://www.hongkongextras.com/_lantau.html

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
752 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lantau!

Agree with previous post. I did this very trip 3 weeks ago and i dont think you should hurry, Take it at leisure and soak up the atmosphere. When you get to Moi wu there are a number of waterfront fish restaurants ideal for a late lunch.

California
Level Contributor
293 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lantau!

Can I use the Octopus card to trvel from Kowloon to Lantau Island?

If so, please suggest the route.

Thanks

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
752 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lantau!

Hi

Most popular and quickest route to Lantau would be On the MTR.

Not sure where you are staying in Kowloon, so if near Nathan road take the Tsuen Wan line north and change on to the Tung chun line at Lai King. Alight at the end (tung chun ) Then take the Nong Ping 360 Cable car to Po lin Monastery, where the Big Buddha is. Frome here you have choices for return. I suggest you take short side trip on Bus To 'Tai O'

fishing Village-really worth a look. You can then take a bus on a southern route back to Central via Moi Wu (small town ) and a regular ferry. Can use Octopus on all buses and MTR But not cable car (i didn't think to ask but sure thats correct ) Cost of one way cable car is $HK68.

Derek

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
752 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lantau!

Sorry Correction. One way ticket on Nong Ping 360 is HK$58-- 68 on special days ( advertised )

Derek

Planet Venus
Level Contributor
2,783 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lantau!

have a read on things to do in lantau

www.hk-magazine.com/feature/escape-lantau

7. Re: Lantau!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 03:18