We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Express Tourist Pass?

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Express Tourist Pass?

I will be in HK for 5 days staying at the Fleming. I plan to take the airport express to and from the hotel and make a day trip to Disneyland on the 2nd day and will surely be going back and forth to Causeway Bay and TST for shopping.

Is it better to buy the Airport Express tourist pass for my trips? What can you guys suggest? Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Causeway Bay
Causeway Bay
1,046 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Myhktour
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips
TramOramic Sightseeing Tour
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,884 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Express Tourist Pass?

Don't buy the tourist pass, as it is valid only on the MTR trains. Buy an Octopus card, which is valid on MTR, buses, ferries, and trams.

If you don't have an Octopus, you will have to pay the exact fare (no change given) whenever you catch a bus.

Level Contributor
4,194 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Express Tourist Pass?

sydneynick - on what basis that you are telling pepperchip not to buy the AE Tourist Pass without knowing his/her planned itinerary in HK?

pepperchip has not said where he/she would be staying. Going back and forth to Causeway Bay and TST from where? How many times a day?

Mentioned in this post
Causeway Bay
Causeway Bay
1,046 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,884 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Express Tourist Pass?

I think my post makes my reasoning fairly clear.

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Express Tourist Pass?

I will be staying at The Fleming in Wanchai. I'll probably be using the MTR for the daytrip to Disneyland, and commute from Wanchai - Causeway bay, Wanchai-TST, Mongkok, Prince Edward, etc, mainly just shopping areas. I really haven't decided whether to go to Ocean Park yet.

HONGKONG
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Express Tourist Pass?

Aiport Express Tourist pass is actually an octopus card with either 1 or 2 airport Express single jonrney(s), Plus 3 consecutive days of UNLIMITED travel on MTR..

you can add some credits on it after that 3 days..

Level Contributor
4,194 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Express Tourist Pass?

I assume that you are travelling alone.

Whether the Airport Express Tourist Pass is a good deal very much depends on your activities whilst in HK and whether you intend to use the MTR a lot.

First, let’s calculate your costs and breakeven point for the 3 days’ unlimited rides on the MTR:

AETP with 2 single rides on the Airport Express and 3 days’ unlimited rides costs HK$285 (on-line advance purchase price using credit card). It includes HK$50 refundable deposit and the on-line advance purchase price for a roundtrip Airport Express ticket from the airport to HK station is HK$171. Therefore, the cost for the 3 days’ unlimited MTR rides = HK$285 – HK$50 – HK$171 = HK$64  3 = HK$21.34 per day.

MTR Wanchai to Disney resort Octopus single fare is HK$20.70 or HK$41.40 roundtrip. You are now down to HK$64 – HK$41.40 = HK$22.60 to be spent to breakeven. It is not difficult based on the following sample Octopus single fares:

Wanchai to Causeway Bay HK$3.60

Wanchai to Tsim Sha Tsui HK$7.70

Tsim Sha Tsui to Prince Edward HK$4.40

Mongkok to Prince Edward HK$3.60

Prince Edward to Wanchai HK$9.50

I disagree that the AETP is poor deal for you. In fact, in my view, the AETP may be good deal for you if you intend to use the Airport Express and will use the MTR to travel to Disneyland from Wanchai. You will likely be more than breakeven.

Please note that the AETP is an Octopus card and you may use it on MTR but the 3 days’ unlimited rides do not apply to the Airport Express train, Light Rail, MTR Bus, East Rail Line First Class, Lo Wu and Lok Ma Chau stations. Contrary to advice in another post, it may be used on MTR, buses, ferries and trams but you will have to load value into it before you may use it. Any unused value together with the HK$50 deposit in the AETP is fully refundable (except a small administration fee may apply in certain situations) when you return the card to MTR on departure.

Mentioned in this post
Lok Ma Chau
Lok Ma Chau
42 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Express Tourist Pass?

Thanks all so much for all the info in helping me decide.

Teddytraveller, what does the two single journey pass mean? Does it mean I can take the AE from airport to hotel and then use AE on the day I depart from HK which is 5 days after I arrive? I'm confused on the 1 single journey and the 2 single journey. I can't figure if it means for two persons on a single journey or does it mean a roundtrip AE?

I'm almost sold to the AE travel pass even if I only break even since it saves me time to buy the MTR tickets everytime I commute.

Thanks Teddy for the very helful computation.

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Express Tourist Pass?

Thanks Teddy for the very helpful computation.

Level Contributor
4,194 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Express Tourist Pass?

"Single" is British English for "One Way".

"2 Singles" mean 2 "One Ways": Airport to City and from City back to the Airport.

"1 Single" means "1 One Way" from Airport to City and no return trip back to the Airport. Some travellers may take alternate mode of transport back to the Airport, e.g., taxi, a ride from a friend, etc.

Yes, you may use the return portion of Airport Express rides from the City to the Aiport on the 5th day. I believe the validity is 30 days from purchase.

The 3-day unlimited MTR rides start on the day of 1st use in the MTR system for 3 consecutive calendar days, NOT the day when you take the Airport Express from the Airport to the City. Having said that, don't start your 1st use on the MTR at 11:45PM as you lose a whole day in 15 minutes!

The AETP is just another type of Octopus card and I suggest that you load HK$100 for other purchases.

I have read in this Forum that the 3-day unlimited MTR rides validity has been changed from 3 calendar days to 72 hours. I am not sure and the MTR web site is also unclear. In the past, it was always 3 calendar days. You may want to double check when you collect your AETP.

Level Contributor
4,194 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport Express Tourist Pass?

P.S. After the 3rd day, you may continue to use your AETP as an Octopus card as long as you've sufficient stored value in it for the purchase.