We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Hong Kong safe these days?

england
Level Contributor
63 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Is Hong Kong safe these days?

I'm visiting with my children and I'm wondering about pickpockets and being out after dark, travelling around on public transport etc.

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Hong Kong safe these days?

In general, Hong Kong is safe, but safe doesn't mean absolutley safe.

There are pickpockets around - exercise the ususal precautions.

Out after dark or travelling on public transport - avoid places with no or too less people, which most places are not - Hong Kong has too many people rather than too few.

Mentioned in this post
Planet Venus
Level Contributor
2,791 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Hong Kong safe these days?

hk is safe - period.

just follow the normal precautions that everyone observes when travelling anywhere in the world like not venturing into dark alleyways or flashing your money in front of everyone.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Hong Kong safe these days?

I have never felt safer in a city, especially in a city as large as HK as I have when I visited there, and that includes night time.

Obviously take the usual precautions as you would at home to keep pickpockets at bay.

Public transport and even walking on at streets are as safe as they come

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
167 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Hong Kong safe these days?

HK is one of the safest cities in the world. We travelled with our then 2.5 year old son and never felt safer. My wife would often go shopping in the early evening on her own while I babysat our son sleeping in our hotel room. HK is also the cleanest city I have visited.

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Hong Kong safe these days?

Most of the places you go will be so crowded street crime is almost impossible. There is also a visible police presence in tourist areas. Plus HK people seem law abiding generally.

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Hong Kong safe these days?

I shoulda said with the exception of picking pockets maybe. But it's not terribly common evenso.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,855 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Hong Kong safe these days?

No problem going around after dark. All streets and transport are brightly lit, and you will not likely see any shady or rowdy characters even after midnight.

Just beware of the fake monks asking for donation, and touts requesting you to do a survey, but in fact are selling time share packages. They are harmless but you would be wasting time and money if you entertain them. Just ignore them and walk away. (You can search recent threads on this topic)

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Hong Kong safe these days?

Yeh, the fake monks need explanation. Don't take ANYTHING from anyone dressed as monk. They offer little gold tokens then ask/demand donation. Don't take little tokens off anyone if'n yr. not sure what a monk looks like.

Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Hong Kong safe these days?

Mainly a very safe place, but as always, keep track of where your stuff is. And be careful of fake scams and pickpockets, which every city pretty much has some sort of.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,936 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Hong Kong safe these days?

Yes we also felt very safe on our stay in HG. We walked all over day and night. Used the trams,MTR.and boats and at no time did we feel unsafe. Go and enjoy yourselfs but remember you are in a big city,so just be street wise like at home. Just a note. The MTR (underground) is very full at rush hours and maybe best not to be used during rush hours.

Mentioned in this post
MTR
MTR
19,419 Reviews
Hong Kong, China