We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free Hong Kong Vacation with a catch ?

Indiana
Level Contributor
117 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Free Hong Kong Vacation with a catch ?

Hi,I have been offered a free trip to Hong Kong. My niece lives there and needs nanny help with her 2 year old twins to make the flight back to HK from US. So in exchange for the 18 hour flight with two 2 years olds I get to see and stay in HK. I am overhhelmed at the offer. I have never travled out of US excpet to Mexico and Canada. No international flights at all. I will have to fly home alone. I am 47 and just a bit set in my ways. I am not good at getting out of my comfort zone. I am afriad I will regret it if I do not take this opportunity. Please advise on what I would be passing up or not? Thanks Sorry so long.

Airdrie, United...
Level Contributor
356 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free Hong Kong Vacation with a catch ?

Hi CastleKnight,

It's alomst a 'freebie' if I were you I'd start packing and tell your niece that you'd be delighted to go and just enjoy yourself. If you do a good job she may even consider you for more of the same before the twins are less of a handful.

Vince.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free Hong Kong Vacation with a catch ?

Since you've never traveled outside of North America, this is the perfect oppurtunity to go. You've got someone to stay with and show you around.

And flying from HKG to the US is simple. The airport is easy to get to and everybody who works there speaks English.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,165 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Free Hong Kong Vacation with a catch ?

Opportunity of a lifetime.

What are you waiting for ?

Hope you have a good time here in HK.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Free Hong Kong Vacation with a catch ?

Definitely it's a good opportunity!! It's always good to go out and see other countries. Traveling always give me more knowledge and appreciate different culture of the world.

I hope you will like Hong Kong because it is my wonderful hometown!!

Indiana
Level Contributor
117 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Free Hong Kong Vacation with a catch ?

Thank you for all the thumbs up! It is scary and exciting to consider doing something totally out of your comfort zone. I will find out Monday if I can take the time off work. So we will see if all the plans work out. Happy 4th of July!

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Free Hong Kong Vacation with a catch ?

I would just like to add my encouragement, I am older and more set in my ways than you, and find Hong Kong a very easy place to visit. It will be easier for you as you have family there presumably. But even if they are too busy to show you around you can cope very easily by yourself. For one thing most people speak English and the signage is also in English as well as Chinese. You won't need a car because the public transport system is excellent -- efficient, frequent and safe. Hong Kong is also a very safe place to travel to, as street crime is rare. So you can potter round on your own without any great hassles, and the culture is sufficiently different from your own to make a really interesting.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Free Hong Kong Vacation with a catch ?

There is a saying that states there is no such thing as a free lunch. Well this comes pretty close.

The only drawback i can see is travelling with a couple of 2 year olds, but a good set of earplugs and a total disregard for other people on your flight should sort this out

Have a great trip

California
Level Contributor
96 posts
756 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Free Hong Kong Vacation with a catch ?

13 years ago I took a friend and her teenage son to HK. She had never been out of the country, never been on a plane. Now she is a world traveler.

Australia
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Free Hong Kong Vacation with a catch ?

I think you'll have an amazing time. HK is a very safe city to visit, so, you should have no worries on that end. The public transport there is more than just easy to use! It's brilliant and very efficient, and you'll have no problems either travelling on the MTR (or even, taking the buses, light buses, etc.). The Octopus Card (that covers public transport and non-transport things like Cafe de Coral, 7 Eleven, etc.) will be one of the best decisions you make.

You'll find that there's always something you'll like and love in HK. I can't imagine too many people coming away with a very negative experience! I'm not sure how long you'll be in HK for, but, I really believe that you'll have an amazing time! And, seeing as your niece lives in HK, you'll be able to grab helpful hints and what not from her, so, you won't ever need to overstretch yourself from doing anything outside your comfort zone. Even without your niece there, HK is a great city to see on your own.

I hope that you'll be able go and enjoy HK for yourself! As you can probably tell, there are many HK fans here on TA, so, I don't think any one of us would tell you to turn down the offer! :P

Please do keep us all updated! :)

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
87 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Free Hong Kong Vacation with a catch ?

I have just come back from a week in Hong Kong and it was the best holiday ever. Yes you will have a long flight, but will be worth it in the end i am sure.

And you never know, it might be akick start for more world travelling. We have a world of culture and history to explore in the UK and all over Europe :)