We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HK Transport/Octopus card

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
999 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
HK Transport/Octopus card

First of all, many thanks to all the contributors to this Forum, you've been a wealth of advice!

My question is around what we plan to do and if I've chosen the best option for travel around.

Arriving in HK around 4 PM on Friday 4th Sept, plan to take A21 bus to Nathan Road (for Nathan hotel). If we're not too shattered, a harbour cruise to watch the Symphony of Light that evening.

Saturday we plan to get the Big Bus tour (hop on, hop off) which includes a Star Ferry ticket, and the peak tram, touring Kowloon in the morning and HK Island in the afternoon, including a visit to the Peak. Evening, a meal somewhere (the Jumbo floating restaurant?) and just wander if we still have any energy.

Sunday, perhaps a Sunday Brunch somewhere then a little retail therapy or a trip to Lantau Island for the Big Buddha. On Monday we fly out to Bangkok at 14.10 so will need to be at airport by midday.

If we buy an octopus card, how much on top of the $50 deposit should we load it with? HKD100, HKD200?

Does the A21 bus take Octopus?

Any comments on our planned itinerary or things we simply should NOT miss? I've tried to keep plans as loose timewise as possible so we can slot other things in if we want.

Australia
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: HK Transport/Octopus card

This is personal opinion only, but, I would give the Big Bus tour a miss, if you haven't already bought tickets, given that you plan to buy an Octopus Card, anyway. It seems rather expensive, considering, for example, the Star Ferry costs $2.50HKD (one-way) for an adult on the weekends, and the Peak Tram costs $48HKD for a return Peak Tram Sky Pass (Peak Tram + Sky Terrace - or $33HKD for return peak tram ride, without the Sky Terrace). HK is so easy (and not too expensive either) to get around, especially with the Octopus Card, but, then again, you won't get any commentary.

Good luck with your planning and have an AMAZING trip! :)

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,592 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: HK Transport/Octopus card

You can use Octopus Card on the A21 bus (HK$33 each way). If you take the Big Bus tour on the Saturday I would assume most of your travel costs will be taken care of within the price of the ticket. On the Sunday you'll no doubt be aware that the cable car service to Ngong Ping for the Buddha is not operating owing to scheduled maintenance. From Nathan Hotel you can take the MTR from Jordan Station (nearest) changing at Lai King for Tung Chung then bus 23 from Tung Chung to Ngong Ping or it may be just as quick to walk to the newly-opened Austin Station and change at Nam Cheong for Tung Chung which is a more direct route with fewer intermediate stations. MTR fare is approx HK$14 each way. Bus fare for journey between Tung Chung and Ngong Ping is HK$27 each way on a Sunday. On Sundays only as an alternative to taking MTR to Tung Chung there is a direct bus service 1R from Hung Hom Ferry Pier to Ngong Ping which stops on Nathan Road almost outside Jordan MTR Station (near exit C1). It costs HK$43. There is no direct return bus service. Timetable is here (approx 15 mins from Hung Hom to stop on Nathan Road).

http://www.newlantaobus.com/road_1R.htm

The Octopus Card costs HK$150 including HK$50 deposit and you can top-up in units of HK$50. You need to buy a card for each person. I'd suggest you add a HK$100 top-up when you purchase the card giving you a spend of HK$200. If it's not enough you can easily top-up as necessary at any 7-11 convenience store (they are in just about every street and there's one in Ngong Ping Village). You can get your deposit plus any outstanding balance back by handing the card in at the Airport Express Customer Service desk at the airport when you leave (an admin fee of HK$7 will be deducted). The Octopus Card can go below zero balance (once only and to a max of minus HK$35) in order to complete a journey before topping up.

I too think the Big Bus Tour is a little expensive but it does at least enable you to see quite a lot in a short space of time and avoids the hassle of doing your own planning. If the weather's good an open-top bus tour is a good way to get around although considering traffic pollution levels in some parts of HK it should probably come with a health warning.

Netherlands
Level Contributor
40 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HK Transport/Octopus card

The Octopus card sounds great. But im gonna leave HK by ferry to Macau, can you return the card also at other places than at the airport?

Can you use one card for 2 persons?

Thanks!

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,592 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: HK Transport/Octopus card

You can hand in your Octopus Card at any MTR station Customer Service Counter. On HK Island Sheung Wan MTR Station is linked to HK Macau Ferry Terminal by subway or if you're travelling from China Ferry Terminal in Kowloon, Tsim Sha Tsui MTR Station is nearest.

Each person travelling needs their own Octopus Card.

west australia perth
Level Contributor
626 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HK Transport/Octopus card

G,DAY.

I would not bother with the big bus tour, you could simply do it yourself and at your own pace.HK is easy to get around with a little planning.

6. Re: HK Transport/Octopus card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2010, 05:16