We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Viva Macau now flying from Melbourne to Macau

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
399 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Viva Macau now flying from Melbourne to Macau

Thought another great flight option which I found tonight....Viva Macau is now flying from Melb direct to Macau two days a week starting next week.

Fares are roughly $620 AUD return which i think is a terrific option for those of us dying to go back to Hong Kong and want a cheaper low frills service.

I paid $1000 AUD return with Virgin Atlantic in September to Hong Kong, but with a delay of 3 hours in Sydney.....and for what i paid that was very low frills...just shocking!

Would much rather go to Macau and then Turbo Jet to HK.

Im looking at Jan at this stage....i miss HK!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,065 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Viva Macau now flying from Melbourne to Macau

Those are good fares. Crazy in fact - I am supposed to be on their mailing list and they haven't advised me of this new route.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
399 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Viva Macau now flying from Melbourne to Macau

Found it by chance tonight at cheaper options to get to HK! I think i'll book it...on sale with those prices for flights until the end of March

In hindsight i wish i had of flown with them on their Sydney to Macau route rather than with VA.

Blue Mountains...
Level Contributor
557 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Viva Macau now flying from Melbourne to Macau

I posted a question i the macau forum when they first started from sydney and was told it was a VERY low cost airline and not to fly with them unless I had to. Dirty toilets etc.

Maybe things have changed in 12 months, but I would ask again on the macau forum before doing anything.

p@

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Viva Macau now flying from Melbourne to Macau

There have been a number of low frills Asian airlines tried this, and none have lasted (according to a travel industry person I know). So on past performances that you had better go very soon or not at all.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,065 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Viva Macau now flying from Melbourne to Macau

Viva Macau has been running for two years now and I've had some very good deals from them. Their reservations office has been very helpful but the food onboard is TERRIBLE. I take my own, at least on the daylight fight back. No frills is very boring for a long distance flight. I have yet to try their short hauls, for which "No Frills" is better suited.

Australia
Level Contributor
802 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Viva Macau now flying from Melbourne to Macau

I also looked at Viva Macau when looking around for fares to HK and Saigon and noticed that they only had 15kg free checked baggage with, I think, AUD$30 per extra kilo which unless you can travel reasonably light negates any saving you might make against other airlines with the 20kg allowance.

I vaguely remember fuel surcharges were added on as well but I could be wrong on that.

Factor in the ferry fare from Macau to HK and it all starts to add up.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Macau
Level Contributor
7,822 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Viva Macau now flying from Melbourne to Macau

I've been doing my research too, as I'm planning to head back next month - it's true that the luggage allowance is small (at least their website indicates that they seem to have reinstated SOME free luggage allowance in cattle class!), the food is terrible and the planes often dirty, but even with any surcharges and the ferry fare to and from HK, it still works out one heckuva lot cheaper than Cathay or Qantas - even if you take their "premium " (ROFLOL) class it works out cheaper than any of the other non-stop flights and you get 30kg free luggage and a bit more room for you legs and at least a couple of free drinks.

Australia
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Viva Macau now flying from Melbourne to Macau

We're taking Viva Macau this year (second-time with them, but, the first time was way back when they first started flying, so, things could be dramatically worse or better since then - hopefully, better!) from Sydney to Macau again. I know some of my relatives have said "never again", but, if you're not expecting much (like we are!), then, its not too bad. Book early to get the good fares (although, I notice that they run a lot of sales) because our fares, if we book them now, are at ridiculous prices for a budget no-frills airline. I would certainly opt for Qantas, Cathay Pacific, etc. instead.

I agree that things do add up when you take into account of the $30AUD per extra kilo, but, we're prepared to pay $150AUD each, so we can get our luggage limit up to the normal 20kg, and even then, its nowhere near what we would have paid if we had taken a non-budget airline.

The downside to Viva Macau is the lack of individual TV screens, which makes the trip seem even longer than usual or maybe, that's just me! They did change the departure time to one a few hours earlier than the one scheduled, but, the airline staff did leave repeated messages for us, so we can't really fault them for that (because at least they tried to get in touch!), and fortunately, I have family who enjoy arriving at the airport a gazillion hours early before check-in.

And, if you're after snacks, get them early. That was a lesson we learned from our Sydney-Macau trip, so, on our Macau-Sydney trip, we stocked up on chocolates, chips (much to the airline staff's shock or horror), etc., as once they're gone, they're gone! :P Of course, you can always bring your own in (its amazing what people bring onto the plane!), but, we were told to consume their food, rather than our own, but, people certainly continued to snack away regardless.

Our negative experiences with the airline had nothing to do with the airline itself, but, rather fellow passengers (who stood up immediately the first wheel touched the ground, meaning the plane was still moving and if we had had any accidents, I'm sure everyone on our plane would have been injured, if not by the plane crash, but by flying luggage from the overhead lockers).

They must be doing alright, if they're opening a Melbourne route. I'm looking forward to seeing what its like this time round. Hopefully, it won't be too bad! :)

Australia
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Viva Macau now flying from Melbourne to Macau

Viva Macau is offering return flights from Melbourne to Macau from $652AUD, including tax. See here for more info: au.deals.travelzoo.com/flights/681746… :)

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
647 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Viva Macau now flying from Melbourne to Macau

Actually, I've seen Cathay Pacific offer fares very similar to Viva Macau with "Smart Saver", and that includes IFE, food and baggage!