We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

time difference between HKG and Boston, MA?

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
227 reviews
Save Topic
time difference between HKG and Boston, MA?

Hi. I should know this, I used to live in HKG. What is the time difference? I know it is 12 hours, but I think you lose a day also.

London
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: time difference between HKG and Boston, MA?

I think in winter months, HKG is 13 hours ahead of Boston, MA because HKG does not adopt summer daylight saving.

Philadelphia , PA
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: time difference between HKG and Boston, MA?

Hello,

A handy site I use is www.timeanddate.com I believe it is.

Pull that up, and it gives you ALL types of cool information about time, date, longitude, latitude, and dialing instructions to connect worldwide.

Steve in the USA

Philadelphia , PA
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: time difference between HKG and Boston, MA?

That looks like it.

If you look on the top left area of their home page -- it's got a world clock with time zones, current time for cities worldwide.

Steve in the USA

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: time difference between HKG and Boston, MA?

add 19 hours for Boston, i.e. 1 a.m. in Boston, 8 p.m. in HK same day;

1 p.m. in Boston, 8 a.m. in HK the next day.

Add 18 hours in summer day light saving time.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: time difference between HKG and Boston, MA?

You can also type into Google -- what time is it in Hong Kong? and figure it out from there.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: time difference between HKG and Boston, MA?

HK is 13 hours ahead of Boston MA, not 19 hours as was suggested by a previous poster.

So midday on Sunday in Boston is 1.00 am in Hong Kong/

After the clocks go forward in Boston in the spring the difference is down to 12 hours

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: time difference between HKG and Boston, MA?

Not necessary lose a day, when Hong Kong is 10pm, Boston is 9am (or 10am during daylight saving time) on the same day.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,706 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: time difference between HKG and Boston, MA?

Such a simple question and so many answers!!!!

he confusion about losing a day probably comes from the fact the when you leave Boston in the afternoon, between the duration of the flights (around 14 hours) plus the time difference (13 hours right now) you arrive in HK about 27 hours later (time wise) which gives you the impression that you lose a day ar it is not afternoon of the next day.

The good news is when you return home you leave in the afternoon and arrive in the evening of the same day.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: time difference between HKG and Boston, MA?

I have to clarify this, especially to Steve_London, I was born and grown up in Hongkong, now live in Los Angeles for 20 years, I call back to HK now and then, I fly back to HK frequently, the time difference between HK and LA is 16 hours, I assume Boston is in the same time zone of NY, so add another 3 hours, that is 19 hours.

to lose or gain one day by crossing the International Date Line is another question. I think that should be it, regards to everyone that jumped into this discussion.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: time difference between HKG and Boston, MA?

no clarification required - HK is 13 hours ahead of Boston in the winter and 12 hours ahead in the summer.