We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Back Report - 5 Days Trip

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
96 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Just Back Report - 5 Days Trip

My girlfriend and i have just returned from a 5 days trip to hk. Thanks to all forummers, we had a wonderful and memorable holiday.

Day 1

After an early morning flight, we took the A21 bus to Salisbury YMCA. The bus ride offers scenic views of hk and is also cheaper than the airport express. We checked in early into the harbour view room. The view was marvelous. We had very nice dim sum lunch at the serenade restaurant (inside cultural centre). It only cost us about 150hkd. After walking around the Heritage 1881 and clock tower, we took the star ferry across the harbour for sightseeing. We were back to our hotel early to watch the Symphony of Light from our room. And this is where i proposed to my girlfriend.

Day 2

Started our day with breakfast in Central. We took the mtr to Tung Chung. The cable car ride was exceptional. We could see the airport and the view was breath-taking. Ngong Ping Village is a unique village, though a bit touristy. Try the macademia ice cream in one of the shops. The souvenirs are quite expensive here though. We headed up to the Big Buddha and it was really huge! On our way back, we stopped at Citigate Mall for some shopping. At night, we visited the Ladies Market and Temple Street for food and shopping. I noticed that the price for souvenirs at Ladies Market is steeper compared to Temple Street. The congee, roasted goose (mongkok) and mantis prawn (jordan) was so delicious!

Day 3

We have planned to spend the whole day today in HK Island. So we started with breakfast at Causeway Bay. We had Mak's wanton noodle. It was quite pricey(48hkd) considering the size of the bowl was so small i could have easily eaten 2-3 bowls by myself. Taste was ok. We walked around Time Square for shopping. Then, we took the mtr to Sheung Wan to have dim sum as our afternoon tea. We have chosen Lin Heung Kui as it is a traditional type of dim sum restaurant. They served dim sum using the push-carts. It was really good and cheap(88hkd). Our next stop was Central. We took the Ding Ding Tram for the experience. Shopping was a heaven in Central. Next, we find our way to take the No 15 bus straight to the Victoria Peak. As the weather was bad, we visited the Madame Tussauds first. We had a wonderful time there taking photos. The weather got even worst when we went up to the Sky Terrace. The mist had covered the entire night view. The is the only big disappointment in my trip. The Tram ride down was a breeze and after reaching the ferry pier we took the star ferry again to TST.

Day 4

The fourth day was Ocean Park Day. It was indeed a fun-fiiled outing at the theme park. We got a discount for the theme park tickets at the Admiralty Station exit (on the way to Bus 629 bus stop) There were dolphin shows, pandas, roller coasters, Sealion shows, cable cars etc. We could easily spent the whole day there. We skipped the Stanley Market and went back to TST for the Avenue of Stars. We wanted our photograph to be taken there before the light show as remembrance. After that, we headed to mongkok again for supper. We ate at the Lucky Deserts and Itamae Sushi. Both were sensational.

Day 5

This is our last day in HK as we will continue our trip to Macau tonight. After breakfast at Tao Heoung, TST (not very nice), we headed to Shatin. We visited the Snoopy World. Then, we asked for directions to the 10,000 buddhas monastery. Lunch was at Luen Wah Hotel. The authentic restaurant served very nice roasted pigeon(68hkd). We took a bus to Sham Sui Po for last minute shopping. It was almost 6 pm when we reached the hotel and we took a cab to the TST Ferry Terminal to Macau.

It was a enjoyable and romantic trip for me in the hustle and bustle of HK. I would love to return one day just to eat their local delicacies, revisit Victoria Peak in the evening and of course to rekindle sweet memories of my proposal with my wife. Thank you everyone for all your info and sharing,

Sunny Singapore
Level Contributor
329 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Back Report - 5 Days Trip

Hi Gary

thanks for the concise trip report. I'll be bringing my daughter to Ocean park next week when we're in HK. Am glad to know of the discounted ticktes plus wide array of many animal shows! I think she'll enjoy Ocean Park. Really looking forward to our trip. Congrats on your engagement! :D

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
96 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Back Report - 5 Days Trip

Thanks. I bet she will. It is a perfect place for kids to have fun. Enjoy!

Blue Mountains...
Level Contributor
557 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Back Report - 5 Days Trip

oohhh, how romantic, I trust she said yes :-)

I have been to HK twice now and still haven't seen the view from the peak at night, a good reason to go back again :-)

Thanks for the report and restaurant reviews.

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
96 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Back Report - 5 Days Trip

Welcome. Twice? I thought my luck was bad:)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,654 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Back Report - 5 Days Trip

Thanks for your trip report.

Congrats on your engagement maybe you will return for your honeymoon as I did with my hubby some 28 years ago!!!!!!

Good luck with the wedding plans.

Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Back Report - 5 Days Trip

congrat garylim007.

can check with u what time did u reach serenade rest & on which day?

was wondering if lunch is more ex or if i reach too late do they still have dim sum.. hee

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,315 posts
1,484 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Back Report - 5 Days Trip

Congratulations on your engagement !!

and thanks for your excellent trip report I enjoyed reading it.

EM.

8. Re: Just Back Report - 5 Days Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2010, 05:16