We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

chain restaurants

richmond va
Level Contributor
311 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
chain restaurants

Will the familiar US chains ( Starbucks etc.) be safe places to eat? Can we drink the water? Thanks!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,490 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: chain restaurants

Any restaurant is a safe place to eat. The water at Starbucks is the same as everywhere else in town. You cannot drink the tap water. Buy bottled water.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: chain restaurants

Yes, buy bottled water and the numerous 7-11 and Super-K convenience stores. There seem to more of these stores per square mile than in the USA.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,864 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: chain restaurants

well, many people do get funny stomach after having cold drinks from local, non-chain "western" restaurants. Food poisoning at 5* hotel buffets are not that infrequent.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,403 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: chain restaurants

nothing to worry about if you have a traveller's stomach... The condition here is on par with most big cities in the world. but if you're not used to travel, you might want to stock up some imodium wherever you go and stick to can/bottle beverages

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: chain restaurants

Hong Kong water is up to international standards when it leaves the treatment station. What happens to it after this it is less clear. Suffice it to say that if you are in an old building with lower standards of maintenance it's probably not that brilliant. But I have drunk the water in four and five-star hotels without any trouble on numerous visits. I do however tend to drink soft drinks and beer :-). If you are going to drink bottled water, remember that about 70% of bottled water worldwide is filled from a local municipal tap. If you know which ones are not - good luck!

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: chain restaurants

PS, Hong Kong is a modern well regulated city on the whole. Restaurants are probably as safe if not safer than the US.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: chain restaurants

HK is a metropolitan.

1) She has N.A. chains. e.g. Starbucks, McDonald, KFC, White Spots...

2) Tape water:

'the water quality meeting the national standard for Type II waters (applicable for the abstraction for human consumption in first class protection area) under the "Environmental Quality Standards for Surface Water, GB 3838-2002". A series of rigorous water treatment processes in Hong Kong then ensures that the drinking water quality complies with the World Health Organization's Guidelines for Drinking-water Quality.'

source:

gov.hk/en/…drinkingwater.htm

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,864 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: chain restaurants

No local-born person drinks straight from the tap. Maybe you know more about local tap water than they do.

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: chain restaurants

Goodness me bibimbob, we don't need to go through all this again surely.

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: chain restaurants

Sorry, had to answer the door. This has been discussed ad nauseam in various other threads. I will try to summarise fairly.

The water is almost certainly fine when it leaves the reservoir.

Some buildings manage to contaminate the water because of bad maintenance.

MANY locals (not everyone) don't drink water from the tap. This is possibly a hangover from the early days of Hong Kong where water quality was not good. It is also possibly a precaution against bad building maintenance.

Many if not all people drink bottled water, which in most cases is simply drinking water from a municipal tap. I would be particularly suspicious of water that comes from China, but bottled water has a very iffy reputation worldwide.

Soft drink and beer are presumably made with distilled water. Drinking water that claims to be or actually has been distilled is probably fine for a short while, but you wouldn't want to do it for ever, because it's missing vital trace elements and you will slowly die :-). And some water that claims to be distilled simply isn't.

You can get various international brands of bottled water in Hong Kong, and if you trust them by all means drink them. Personally I prefer beer. :-)