We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My cell phone was stolen from my suitcase

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
My cell phone was stolen from my suitcase

We had 4 checked-in pieces of luggage to HKG. Three came out while we waited at least 10 more mins for the last suitcase to arrive. When I was ready to unpack my suitcase, I noticed the lock/zipper opening was all the way on the bottom - not at the top where I had it, but didn't think much of it. Until I opened up the suitcase and could not find my extra cell phone. Someone working at baggage had presumably gotten into my suitcase and took the only valuable item that was in there.

So beware! Anyone can open up your zippered suitcase, and close it back up without it looking like it had been opened.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My cell phone was stolen from my suitcase

No sympathy at all

A cell phone is a valuable item. Would you put jewellery in checked luggage, why not a wedge of dollar bills. While you are about it, throw in an iPod or a portable DVD player/

Next time you pack for a trip, try to use your brain

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My cell phone was stolen from my suitcase

This could happen anywhere, and isn't specifically Hong Kong issue. I must say I was going to ask the same question as steve- ben, why on earth would someone not have their cell phone in their hand luggage. My cell phone (forced on me by my wife and son) cost about $100 Hong Kong, and even so I would have it in my hand luggage.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,319 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My cell phone was stolen from my suitcase

The theft could have happened at the point of origin or destination.

I always bring all my electronic gears in my hand carry, and even the chargers. So I wind up with a backpack full of cameras, lenses, cell phones, a laptop, iPod and what not. It's heavy but it sure beats having them stolen from my checked baggage.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,742 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My cell phone was stolen from my suitcase

Locking your suitcases does nothing but give you comfort. There are many videos on how the thieves open your luggage. You can try by yourself. Put on a lock. Then use a pen and push on the zipper and you can open the suitcase. Afterward you can zip it back with the locks still on.

http://fliiby.com/file/16493/0fib4j4gcy.html

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,850 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My cell phone was stolen from my suitcase

A lock does act as a deterrent somewhat since you do make it less convenient for the potential thief to pry into your stuff. Like others have said, the theft could have occurred at any point during your journey (say SFO if that's where you came from). Also, was your bag TSA-inspected? I wouldn't necessarily call it theft, but perhaps they misplaced the phone after digging around.

Personally, I put anything of value in my carry-on. When it comes to electronics, the only things I check-in are the chargers. My phone, camera, laptop, and GPS are always in my carry-on. All the chargers and cables go in the check-in so I don't have as much weight with me.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,742 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My cell phone was stolen from my suitcase

I don't think that the lock is even a deterrent. Once you get the hang of it, it does not even slow you down by one second compared to no lock. Watch the video.

Qingdao, China
Destination Expert
for Qingdao
Level Contributor
909 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My cell phone was stolen from my suitcase

Sorry to hear that. You'd better to take your small, expensive and electronic items, cash in you hand suitcase next time.

It could happen everywhere. At least you could lock your cases, but when I go to the US, I can't lock my cases at all! Have to buy a Samsonite lock designed for US custom...

The fact is, the lock is more expensive than my suitcase...

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
306 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My cell phone was stolen from my suitcase

Agree with everyone else here, don't put valuables in your checked baggage!

I know someone who lost their laptop that way, no sympathy from me.

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My cell phone was stolen from my suitcase

Oops, wife just given me a bollicking for being unsympathetic. SHE sez she thinks it stinks and your stuff should be safe. Not that I disagree essentially, :-).

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My cell phone was stolen from my suitcase

Not looking for sympathy. Simply letting people know that it's that easy to have things stolen from your locked suitcase. I had everything else of value in my carry-on (yes, I do use my brain, steve_ben), but didn't bother with the old cell phone. I just forgot that my US sim card was still in that phone (that's what's valuable to me). Glacierfed, I was one of the last minute check-ins so the originating city wouldnt have had time to go through my luggage, so it had to have been HKG.. Anyway, bygone.