We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shopping in limited time

Bunbury western...
Level Contributor
281 posts
179 reviews
Save Topic
shopping in limited time

We've only got one morning in HK (stopover) and would like to buy a video camera, and maybe other electronics (CD's DVD's). We're staying at the Majestic. Whats the quickest, easiest place to go for good prices and how best to get there (with 3 kids in tow). Has anyone got any really good bargains?

Thanks

OZI-GAL

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shopping in limited time

Hi Ozi-Gal

I am no expert on HK as many on this site are but after having spent 5 days in HK in August I checked out the prices for CD/DVD's (not pirated ones) and found them dearer than we can buy them for in discount stores here in Sydney - not sure about video cameras, I got a good deal on an ARchos Personal multimedia player and also $100.00 off a nokia phone (but I took some time with the salesman taking my sim card out of my phone and putting it in the new one to make sure it worked) but with only 1 morning in HK and 3 kids I think you would spend a fair bit of time trying to find a good deal and also if there is a problem with it, it will be too late to take it back, I love my video camera and carry it with me all the time so maybe try to do a deal duty free before you go and then you know you wont have any problems - I found if i got a good price from a duty free shop then went to a large discounter they will match it - my husband and I ran all over the place looking for bargains and i dont know if i would want to do it with 3 little ones in tow, HK is very busy and exciting, take them for a ride on the star ferry and see how big the harbour is, it makes SydneyHarbour look very small

have a good time

abbey

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,095 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shopping in limited time

One morning is going to be challenging, b/c most stores that I can recommend are not going to be opened until at least 11am or noon.

But I totally cannot believe that HK's prices cannot beat Australia's...... I know we're cheaper and more advanced models than Australia for sure. But with 3 kids, and one morning, perhaps you might want to do some sightseeing as suggested by previous poster........ would be much more rewarding.

SUNSHINE COAST...
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shopping in limited time

With 3 kids in tow you have no hope !

I read a post either on here or the Bangkok forum - an aussie asking the same sort of question - he wanted to buy a camera- he got advice from a guy in Sydney to check out the prices on line, he then went to a big camera store (?Teds etc) and got it cheaper than the online price, you then claim the GST back at the airport - it made it cheaper than any duty free or the price in Asia. As long as you buy it within 30 days of travelling,it is over $300, have the reciept you can claim the GST back on anything at the airport - but you have to have the goods with you in your carry on.

Hope this helps

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,095 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shopping in limited time

Just out of curiosity, for those who says Australia's prices are better than HK's.... can I ask WHERE in HK's prices are being compared to ? And are the models in Australia the newest and latest? Just out of curiosity... thanks for any info.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: shopping in limited time

Hi Katetam

As I said I am NO expert on Hong Kong only having visited for 5 days in March so I wouldnt want to advise anyone on what is and isnt cheaper I can only go on my experience -I read these forums extensively before I left, my son wanted a Nokia 6230i so I knew the price before i left sydney - on lots of threads I read they all suggest to go to Fortress, the phone was the same price i could get in Sydney and Fortress are set prices so no discount, we then went to the street next to the ladies markets (sorry dont know what it was called) where all the phone shops are and one thing i did find in HK that in these stores (my husband stayed outside) I was always ignored and had to grab someones attention, again i could not get it any cheaper, i did find a shop near the star ferry where there were some very nice young men and after going into the store i got the phone for $80.00 aus cheaper than at home so i bought it after trying it with my sims card - another experience was looking for the Archos PMP, again i went into one store in the arcade near the ferry and looked at another brand of PMP and came out laughing as the young man behind the counter told me after i enquired of the price that i couldnt afford it (I must have been really daggy dressed that day although i thought i looked nice) it was 4,000 HK and yes i could afford it but wouldnt do business with him - i got my archos for about $150.00 cheaper than sydney so i was pleased with that but again lots of haggling and 3 visits before i got the lower price - at the moment in Sydney the big discount chains like Harvey Norman and the Good Guys will really lower their prices if you can show you can get it cheaper elsewhere, i even priced my camera on an ebay site and they matched it - so while I am sure HK has the latest and most up to date the world is very rapidly shrinking and with on line purchases buyers are more savy - just in my limited experience Sydney traders seem more open to lowering their prices than my experience in HK - but I loved HK, the prescription sunglasses and normal glasses were about $300.00 cheaper than in Sydney and I bought 3 pairs, and in May next year I am returning with a girl friend for more shopping - so I think HK is great but i was disappointed in the electronics as I am a gadget freak and had hoped to secure some fabulous bargains but for me it didnt happen but please let me know for my visit next year where i can go that is trustworthy, will deal with me as a woman (sorry but I was ignored a lot) I even showed several salesman the various aspects of the ARchos that i was searching for that they didnt know and I will certainly visit these places and grab some bargains

Hope some other aussies will come into this forum and tell their experiences and where they got the good bargains in HK cause I am rearing to go back (without Husband this time he slows me down)

Abbey

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: shopping in limited time

Sorry I meant to say I was there in August, my mistake (it was my first visit to HK)

Abbey

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,095 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: shopping in limited time

HI Abbey,

thanks for your extensive email. I am sorry to hear about your experience with the sales people. They can be so rude !!! I guess the sales people get so many inquiries by tourists and non tourists about prices, they can get a little pigeon eyed. They look at you, and categorize whether you are a "real" serious buyer or "just asking/looking" .... nevertheless, it doesn't excuse how they treated you ! I am glad it didn't dampen your experience in HK !

But honestly, if you go to the right stores, you can get very very good deals with many electronics in HK.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,095 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: shopping in limited time

Sorry, I meant thanks for your extensive post. (not email)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: shopping in limited time

Thanks Katetam

So where would you suggest I go next time to try and get some great electronics and gadgets

Abbey

canada
Level Contributor
7,676 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: shopping in limited time

ozigal, there is a Fortress store in the departure hall in HK airport terminal. For bargains, you'd never know until you've compared prices esp re sales on.