We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hong Kong or Singapore?

glasgow
5 posts
Save Topic
Hong Kong or Singapore?

am travelling to Australia and want a stopover in Asia on the way out. should I stop in Hong Kong or Singapore? time of year will be mid january if that makes any difference

thanks

Derbyshire, England
Level Contributor
123 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hong Kong or Singapore?

We've been to both and have really enjoyed our time there. It probably depends on what you want to do. I love Singapore but on balance Hong Kong wins for me. There is so much to do and see and I feel that there is more of an atmosphere.

Both places have superb transport systems so getting around is really easy. However, Hong Kong feels more 'exotic' in many ways. Both locations have super shops and restaurants but I feel that Hong Kong has the edge when people watching and when discovering places that seem so much more 'real'. Singapore is lovely and there has been so much development recently but I like the fact that in Hong Kong you are just around the corner from sights which are awesome ( and I include things that are really quite mundane like small shops etc)

The people in both places are great but I think that the reason that we are going for our 4th visit is that Hong Kong is really one of the worlds greatest cities.

Enjoy your trip wherever you end up!

Lou

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hong Kong or Singapore?

At that time of year Hong Kong will be cooler, which is somewhat of a blessing. It's a bit scruffier than Singapore, but still clean compared to most of Europe. Both cities are pretty safe. Singapore is cheaper it seems to me, particularly hotels. You do get more for your money in that area by a considerable amount. On the other hand there's much more to do in Hong Kong at least for me.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hong Kong or Singapore?

@koalakidGlasgow, a stop over in HK will provide a smoother transition in body adaption of temperature,before you move on to Australia. Moreover, at least those warm clothing that you wore outbound from Glasgow will not go for a trip as it will come to good use in HK's Jan weather which is the "winter" season.

Mid Jan is one of the best time to be in HK. Singapore,regretfully will be having wetter months.

Having said so, in terms of sights to see and the experience of seeing the sights is in my personal opinion much better in HK. I am already perceiving that Singapore is becoming more of a concrete jungle, with very little greenery lung left.

Contrary to popular belief,in fact,in terms of value for money and space/dollar, hotel accommodation in HK offers more options and are more strategically located in that most can be within easy reach of the MTR in comparison to Singapore.

Having said so, it also depends how many days you are allocating for the stopover.If it is just one or two days, then I advise to do it in SIngapore, whereas if over a longer period, you have more time to maximise and visit more sights in HK and even complement it with a day trip via ferry to Macau.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
282 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hong Kong or Singapore?

If I can assist or confuse a little more :-) if you're talking of Singapore you may as well throw Malaysia into the mix being so close.

I'm a fan of all three - if you haven't visited any my 'take' on HK is that it's a mix of Singapore & Malaysia. Singapore is more your clean urban/city experience HK offers bit more variety and options.

I tend to agree with one of the posts - if you're only looking to spend 2/3 days I'd probably go Singapore anymore I'd either go HK or Singapore & Malaysia.

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hong Kong or Singapore?

Hong Kong will be in winter and you might experience the Chinese New Year celebration in HK more than in Singapore even thought Singapore majority is Chinese too. But HK will be more 'live' for it. HK definately more vibrant and live compare to SG.

Perth
Level Contributor
740 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hong Kong or Singapore?

It really depends on what you are looking for. With only four days you will certainly not be bored in either place. Singapore is a a very clean, beautiful city and very modern. We felt no cultural shock whatsoever when we were there.

Having said that we prefer Hong Kong, it is quite awesome and a fascinating city. The Harbour is a sight to behold and there are many lovely scenic places to see. At the right time of the year the weather is great and not hot. The worst aspect would be the amount of fog in HK that limits visibility.

Unless you are going to Tasmania you will be in Australia in the middle of summer and it will be quite hot.

If you are going to travel to Australia again then it won't matter if you go to HK or Singapore but if you aren't remember that HK is closer to you and you may always make the shorter trip there one day. HK is about 3.5 hrs from Singapore.

glasgow
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hong Kong or Singapore?

thanks for your response, I think your comments have made up my mind for me as this trip is likely to be our only one to Australia ( unless i win the lottery of course lol!!!) Singapore it is. will hopefully get to Hong Kong one day.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR RESPONSES, THEY HAVE BEEN REALLY HELPFUL AND INFORMATIVE

xx

8. Re: Hong Kong or Singapore?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2011, 05:17