We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Subway to Shenzhen with Travel pass

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ottawa
Level Contributor
27 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Subway to Shenzhen with Travel pass

I'm going to get the return trip to the airport and 3 day unlimted travel pass, and I want to use it to go to Shenzhen for 1 day. I think I read, that I have to get off one stop before, pay and then get back on. Is this correct or can I use it to go straight to Shenzhen?

Thanks!

Chris

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
546 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Subway to Shenzhen with Travel pass

Do you mean this pass?

https:/…

From the product description, the pass will not get you to Shenzhen. It's only valid on the Island, Tsuen Wan, Kwun Tong, Tseung Kwan O, Tung Chung and Disneyland Resort lines. You need to take East Rail Line to reach the land border with Shenzhen at Lo Wu or Lok Ma Chau. Looks like the pass doesn't cover the East Rail Line.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,869 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Subway to Shenzhen with Travel pass

You can just buy a regular ("on-loan") octopus card, which allows travel on all rail lines, with fare deducted on a per trip basis. Generally speaking, you'll need to ride the MTR a lot to get your money's worth on the passes.

Also, there is a group discount on the airport express for 2 to 4 people traveling together:

mtr.com.hk/eng/…promotions_4persons.html

The East Rail line takes you to Lo Wu, which is the last stop on the line. Then you will walk through both Hong Kong and China immigration control before exiting to Shenzhen.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,203 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Subway to Shenzhen with Travel pass

Calabogie, what you are saying is correct. The Airport Express Travel Pass does include travel on East Rail but excludes the two border stations of Lo Wu and Lok Ma Chau and you can't travel first-class (East Rail is the only line with first-class compartments). You can use it to travel as far as Sheung Shui (the last station before Lo Wu or Lok Ma Chau) but you would have to get off the train and buy a ticket for the one-stop journey to either Lo Wu or Lok Ma Chau to cross the border (fares for this short journey are actually disproportionately high).

As suggested by Glacierfed, Octopus Card will probably be more suitable for your travel in HK plus, if appropriate Airport Express Group Ticket for the journey from the airport if appropriate (if more than one person travelling together).

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,187 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Subway to Shenzhen with Travel pass

The pass is usually not worth the money unless you are traveling a lot of the MTR or trains in those days. Getting a regular on-loan Octopus is probably the way to go.

ottawa
Level Contributor
27 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Subway to Shenzhen with Travel pass

thanks to all. Great info.

ottawa
Level Contributor
27 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Subway to Shenzhen with Travel pass

Thanks I think I'll go with the on-loan Octopus Card. How much money should I put on it? I place to ake the subway 2 or 3 times while I;m there and will definately take the first class to Shenzhen.

Thanks

Level Contributor
4,195 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Subway to Shenzhen with Travel pass

The Octopus card can be used to pay for many other goods and services than transportation. It can be used as a method of payment at merchants that accept it as a form a payment. 7-11, Circle K. Wellcome/Park N Shop supermarkets, just to name a few. Furthermore, any unused value plus the deposit are fully refundable when you return the card for cancellation on departure, unless you want to keep the card for your next trip or as souvenir. (A nominal administration fee may apply.) You can do it at the MTR kiosk at the airport. So how many days will you be staying in HK? Where is your hotel?

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Subway to Shenzhen with Travel pass

First class from Mongkok East MTR to Lo Wu is HK$62.60 with octopus. However most around town fares are under HK$10.

Edited: 19 July 2010, 16:19
ottawa
Level Contributor
27 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Subway to Shenzhen with Travel pass

Thanks again. We'll be staying for 4 nights, 5 days and we'll be at the Butterfly on Pratt.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,187 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Subway to Shenzhen with Travel pass

Whatever is left on your Octopus is refundable at the end of your trip when you return your car, minus a $7 handling charge. I suggest you put a couple hundred dollars to start with. You can always add more easily at convenient stores, MTR stations, supermarkets, some fast food chains, etc. It's very very easy.