We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hong Kong to Shenzhen

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
leicester
Level Contributor
251 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Hong Kong to Shenzhen

I wanted to know if anyone has done this trip from Kowloon? Thinking of going for the day as I heard its good for shopping? (any places to go to, Lo Wu Commercial Center I heard is good for shopping)

Also does anyone know cost of train tickets? Also do I require a visa and where is the best place to get them from?

Any comments will be appreciated

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hong Kong to Shenzhen

It's very easy to go. Just catch the MTR east rail to Lo Wu. If you have an octopus card it is around HK$35.

You do need a visa. You can get one in advance from the Visa Office in Wanchai, or you can get one at the border. If you are a UK passport holder it will cost you HK$450 in advance (4 day service) or 468 Rmb at the border.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
492 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hong Kong to Shenzhen

Hi

We have done the trip a couple of times, it is really easy but do sort your Visa's out.

Once there the Lo Wu Commercial centre is right outside the train station and is five floors of intense shopping.

If you have enough of the shopping catch a taxi to Windows of the World and China Splendid about 30min ride, this a fantastic theme park with miniture replica's of famous buildings including the great wall of China, China splendid is a themed village with lots of live shows - both are really worth a visit. As many of the taxi drivers do not speak english I recommend you get a hotel card from the main hotel opposite the train station (sorry I can't remember it's name)

leicester
Level Contributor
251 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hong Kong to Shenzhen

the visa cost is putting me of (british passport)

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hong Kong to Shenzhen

unless you are going to buy A LOT of things the visa costs is not worth it for a british passport holder.

Most of what is up there is fake - bags, clothes, electronics, shoes, jewellry etc - copies of high end fashion that would normally cost you a fortune in the real shops.

Good fake bags - leather and good copies will cost you anything between $400 and $600 a piece - you can get lesser quality bags for less money - but you usually pay for what you get (unless you are ripped off and pay too much for bad quality). You can get fake tiffany jewellry fro $50.

You have to argue with them - they will try to sell you anything for a huge amount of money - I usually end up paying between 30% and 50% of their original price. You learn quickly what their lowest price is as if you walk off, they'll call after you to return if they will accept your offer.

It is hard work, tiring and intense but worth it if you buy lots. And don;t follow anyone in to a shop becasue they have been hassling you - touts will follow you from the exit of the train station to the mall - totally ignore them and head straight for 5th floor.

Train station to start from is Hung Hom. let me know if you want details of shops with good prices or quality.

Have fun!

leicester
Level Contributor
251 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hong Kong to Shenzhen

Thank you for the info. as i am going to be in hong kong for 5 days i thought i would check shenzhen out. But as you say its only worth it if you do loads of shopping. i guess if i save my visa cost and travel cost i could get quite a few things in Hong Kong.

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hong Kong to Shenzhen

Go to Macau instead. Visa free entry with great food and wine, and beautiful buildings.

leicester
Level Contributor
251 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hong Kong to Shenzhen

Macau is on the itinerary

8. Re: Hong Kong to Shenzhen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2011, 06:17