We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decent hair salon in Hong Kong?

Gilford, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Decent hair salon in Hong Kong?

I will be on holiday for a few days and wanted to try to get my hair cut in a relatively decent style again. I have been living in Jeju-do, South Korea for almost 6 months (small island off the Southeastern coast of SK-with a very small foreign teacher population of a few hundred)Don't get to speak English for days at a time as my students are at a very low comprehension/speaking level at present.

I attempted to explain a simple layer cut to a hairdresser here and he didn't get it-my hair is a different texture and curly and my hair cut looked idiotic and freakish-that was about 4 months ago. Anywho, I know it sounds petty and absurd but I just want my hair to look somewhat normal again. I figured it couldn't hurt to ask anyone who is familiar with HK if they know of any reputable hairdressers that can speak English fairly well and understand the concept of layering :) Thanks for listening to my incessant rambling-too much caffeine!

Auckland
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Decent hair salon in Hong Kong?

I am planning to get a haircut in Hong Kong next month too.

The last time I went I saw a lot of decent hair salons in Causeway Bay. I think HKD 300-450 should get you a haircut,wash and blow.In general, young people in HK speak some basic English.If you are unsure, perhaps bring a magazine/photo of the hairstyle you want.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Decent hair salon in Hong Kong?

If you've got money to burn, there are also the top-name salons in HK. Haven't tried any myself because I've only just got here, but I saw a Toni & Guy in central (Wyndham street, I think). Also pretty much all the five-star hotels have salons.

Gilford, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Decent hair salon in Hong Kong?

Thanks for the replies...much appreciated. I was in Hong Kong 2.5 years ago and didn't end up getting my haircut but I hope you both enjoy your time there!!

Cheers

Coopersburg...
Destination Expert
for Allentown
Level Contributor
622 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Decent hair salon in Hong Kong?

My daughter was explaining to me how difficult it is for westerners to get their hair cut in China. She is living in China but recently came home for a few weeks for the Chinese New Years break. On the way home she stopped in S. Korea for two weeks to visit friends and got her hair cut. They really, really thinned it. When she got it cut in China she got bangs, straight across, like she had when she was about 5. She said that the hair salon people she has used just are not used to any hair except Asian hair and make a big fuss about her hair even though it's not that weird - very dark and almost straight.

I asked her if I could get my hair washed when we go to visit because she has said that is very inexpensive and always includes a head and shoulder massage. She said that yes, that would be fine but they would probably take my picture because blonde hair is extremely unusual.

I think Hong Kong is a good choice since they are more used to Westeners then where she is. Good idea to post here for suggestions.

Gilford, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Decent hair salon in Hong Kong?

Hi Toobusy,

OMG...I know what you mean about how they thinned your hair. They did the same thing to me when I live in SK and I had to wear a beret for several months because it looked horrible and I am not extremely picky about my hair but it was the worst.

I also had a hard time getting my color right while I was there...such challenges for something we take for granted, huh? Hong Kong is a fabulous city and I loved it when I was there for Chinese New Year.

Ok...thanks to all for the thoughtful responses!!

6. Re: Decent hair salon in Hong Kong?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 23:17