We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay in Hong Kong?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay in Hong Kong?

I will be in Hong Kong for 4 days in early January, for the first time. I want to sightsee, including a day trip to Macau. I am a single woman, not too interested in shopping.

What area/s are best?

Mentioned in this post
Macau
Macau
China
Central Market
Flea & Street Markets
Starstreet Precinct
Gift & Speciality Shops
Limestone
Gift & Speciality Shops
Philadelphia , PA
Level Contributor
1,369 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay in Hong Kong?

Hello and welcome,

For a first timer to Hong Kong, anywhere near Victoria Harbour is an excellent choice. If you stay on Kowloon side, there are loads of options for hotels and guest houses in the TST / Jordan / Yau Ma Tei area. This is within easy walking distance of MTR stations and Star Ferry, both of which will help you cross the harbour easily.

If you choose Hong Kong Island side, again, there is an incredible array of stay options in the Central / Wan Chai / Causeway Bay area, which is also close to MTR and Star Ferry.

If you check out the FAQ section of the HK home page here at TA, over on the right you will find a link to ' Where should I stay?'. Have a look at that for further information, and then stop back here when you are ready with more questions.

Also, take a look at a map of this area, then you'll start to get a handle on the general layout of the Hong Kong SAR. Often this can be a big help for our first timers.

If desired, once you pick an area, stop back with a budget range for your stay, then our hotel gurus will be happy to provide you with numerous options for hotels / guest houses in your price range

Hope this helps, and stop back when you are ready -- we are here to assist you in any way possible.

Steve in the USA

Mentioned in this post
Causeway Bay
Causeway Bay
1,046 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Australia
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay in Hong Kong?

In all honesty, it doesn't really matter where you stay, as public transport in HK is fantastic and very efficient. HK is also quite a safe city, so, you shouldn't have too many problems, provided you take the usual precautions of being aware of your surroundings.

What is your budget range per night? It may be easier to suggest some hotels (Steve has already pointed out some locations, and I would also include Mongkok to the locations listed for Kowloon) that you could look at and perhaps consider. I would definitely consider staying at a hotel that is within walking distance to an MTR station (on an MTR line that you would most likely use the most - i.e. the red Tsuen Wan line, if you're on Kowloon, or the blue Island line, if you're on HK Island). See here for a map of the MTR system, which will give you an idea of the locations: www.mtr.com.hk/eng/train/system_map.html The reason being is that, I think the MTR is the easiest option for most tourists in getting around. Having said that, there are plenty of buses, minibuses, Ding Ding trams (on HK Island), taxis, ferries, etc. as well.

Do make sure to purchase an on-loan Octopus Card from the Airport Express MTR service counter at the Airport or from any MTR station. It will truly be one of the best decisions you make while in HK! Take note that you can only purchase it with HKD cash, and not credit cards. It can be used for public transport (e.g. MTR, bus, minibus, ferry, Ding Ding tram, etc., but NOT taxis, which aren't particularly expensive in HK), as well as, some stores (e.g. 7 Eleven stores, where you can top it up with more credit), places to eat (e.g. Cafe de Coral), etc. You can top up the Octopus Card at MTR stations, 7 Eleven stores, etc., and get a refund on any unused credit (minus a small fee), when you return it to any MTR station/Airport Express counter/etc. See here for more info on the Octopus Card: www.hongkongextras.com/octopuscard.html and here for all the places you can use it: octopus.com.hk/get-your-octopus/…index.html

Good luck with your planning and have a GREAT time in HK! :)

Edited: 22 August 2010, 14:08
Philadelphia , PA
Level Contributor
1,369 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay in Hong Kong?

To our OP --

I'll absolutely agree 100% with Hong Kong expert random-sunshine's first paragraph above. WHEREVER you stay, there's public transport available. HK's transport system is incredible.

I'll also agree with rs's thoughts about staying close to an MTR line. For a short visit such as yours, sometimes it's very handy to walk out your door, hop on the MTR, and zip off to your destination.

Good luck planning and as before, let us know if we can assist further.

To random - sunshine, it's GREAT to see your incredibly helpful posts again !

Welcome back!

Steve in the USA

4. Re: where to stay in Hong Kong?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2011, 06:41