We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
438 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping?

Staying at the Eaton soon for our first visit to HK. Not sure about tipping and wonder if someone could inform me if it's OK to tip and if so, how much for the people who bring your bags to your room.

We always leave money for the housekeeping staff in Thailand so want to get it right in HK!

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
8,306 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping?

Tipping in Hong Kong is pretty much the same as in Australia, so just do as you would back home.

Beijing
Level Contributor
142 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping?

No doubt there will be differences of opinion on this, but personally I leave:

5 HKD per bag to the bellhop, or 10 HKD for 2-3 bags

2 HKD per night for housekeeping, 5 HKD for 2 nights, etc left for them only on day of checkout.

Cheers.

Level Contributor
4,194 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping?

The Hong Kong Tourism Board offers some guidelines in their web site as well as voluminus previous posts asking the same question here. Use the search function to find.

Edited: 30 August 2010, 14:12
Australia
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping?

Unless you have received good service, it is not necessary to tip (or go overboard, anyway), and most people won't get mad or anything like that, if none is received.

With hotel staff who bring bags to your room, perhaps, $15-$20HKD per piece of luggage (unless, you're bringing everything, but the kitchen sink! :P In that case, you might wish to tip a little bit more). You might wish to leave a tip for the housekeeping staff too, if you like as well.

In small local cafes, it wouldn't be necessary to tip. In restaurants, you might wish to round-up (or add more, depending on your service), but, in the fancier establishments, I would most likely leave a tip, even though there is normally the 10% service charge applied in your bills.

No need to tip for taxis, as they'll usually round-up.

Good luck with your planning and have a GREAT time in HK! :)

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping?

If no one else, I always tip the housekeeping staff, because their wages are generally crap.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping?

Guerilla, a man after my own heart.

100% behind you - and they are the ones who get the least access to tips. I go out of my way to catch them.

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping?

You have to go out of your way because they're not standing around ready to be tipped. Not that anyone in Hk is really, but you know what I mean :-).

8. Re: Tipping?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2011, 05:17