We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Octopus card from airport and getting to Novotel Nathan Road

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
332 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Octopus card from airport and getting to Novotel Nathan Road

Hi there, should we be getting octopus cards before we board the bus to the hotel?

We are staying at Novotel Nathan Road so what would be the cheapest way to get to the Novotel with a family of 4.

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Nathan Road
Nathan Road
1,890 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Australia
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Octopus card from airport and getting to Novotel Nathan Road

Absolutely purchase the on-loan Octopus Cards (one for each person) before you board, or else you'll need to ensure you have the exact fare, as no change is given. Hence, it is much better to just slap your Octopus Card against the machine, instead of dealing with all the correct amounts. Take note that you can only purchase Octopus Cards with HKD cash, and not with credit cards. Just pick them up at the Airport Express MTR service counter, which you can't miss upon arrival.

The cheapest (but also, slowest) option is the #A21 bus: www.nwstbus.com.hk/routes/routeinfo.aspx… at $33HKD per person/one-way fare. You will need to get off at "Stop 10 - 348 Nathan Road, near Nathan hotel."

A taxi (more "expensive" option) would be the most direct option, and would be around $200-$250HKD. Remember to add an extra $5.00HKD per piece of large luggage to your total taxi fare. Also, take note that you can't use the Octopus Cards for taxi fares.

Another option is to take the Airport Express MTR from the Airport to Kowloon Station, and from there, a taxi to your hotel (not as long as the bus journey, but, not necessarily all that much quicker, given you need to transfer to a taxi or take the MTR to get to your hotel). If you're taking up this option, purchase a special group ticket for those travelling in a group of 4: mtr.com.hk/eng/…promotions_4persons.html PLUS an on-loan Octopus Card for each person from the Airport Express MTR service counter.

Good luck with your planning and have a GREAT time in HK! :)

Edited: 23 November 2010, 05:20
Mentioned in this post
Airport Express
Airport Express
10,631 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
MTR
MTR
19,110 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Nathan Road
Nathan Road
1,890 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
332 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Octopus card from airport and getting to Novotel Nathan Road

Wow brilliant information. Thankyou. I actually think that if a taxi can fit in 4 of us it will work out nearly the same price as the bus and we will get there quicker. Not sure what the traffic will be like at 3 pm but knowing HK it will always be busy??

Thanks again

Australia
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Octopus card from airport and getting to Novotel Nathan Road

The taxi will definitely be more expensive, but, a much better option, if you want to get from the Airport to your hotel faster. You should be able to all fit in the one taxi, however, I guess, it also depends on the amount (or size) of your luggage. We also were travelling in a group of 4, but, because of how bulky how luggage was, it just wasn't possible to take one taxi and to all sit comfortably as well. But, most will generally be fine, I think.

I think you should be able to just miss the peak hours in terms of traffic, provided you don't encounter any delays, as generally going through Immigration/Customs is a breeze.

Good luck with your planning and have a GREAT time! :)

Edited: 23 November 2010, 22:23
Sydney
Level Contributor
148 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Octopus card from airport and getting to Novotel Nathan Road

I always find the bus as a better and cheaper option and always board the bus with your octopus card. Do the airport express still accept cash on bus???

As mentioned previously depending on how many luggages u have, it may not fit. Last time me and my husband went back we had 2 suitcases, 2 hand carry we had to put all the bags in the back site right next to me, while my husband sit next to me.

HK traffic is always busy to be honest....

Raleigh, North...
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Octopus card from airport and getting to Novotel Nathan Road

My hotel offered a reasonably priced shuttle bus from the airport. I arranged it by a simple email request to their reservations staff, and it was added to my room bill. The price was about HK 100 which I thought was mid-price for an excellent and very convenient way to arrive.

My hotel was 1 block from the Yau Ma Tei metro station, and I got my Octopus card there. No place is very far from the Metro station, or so it seems. Just go to the service counter inside and tell them you need the on-loan card for short holiday and hand the cash. Super easy way to travel around HK and Kowloon.

6. Re: Octopus card from airport and getting to Novotel Nathan Road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2011, 06:58