We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from TST to HKIA - cheaper alternative

Penang
Level Contributor
267 posts
Save Topic
Getting from TST to HKIA - cheaper alternative

We are thinking of taking the MTR from Kowloon Station to Tung Chung Station and then get a taxi from Tung Chung to HKIA Departure Terminal as it's cheaper than the Airport Express / taxi all the way. Possible to take this cheaper alternative? Or too much hassle? Kindly advise. Thanks

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from TST to HKIA - cheaper alternative

A21 Airport bus is direct. See www.nwstbus.com.hk/routes/routeinfo.aspx…

Cost is HK$33 an adult, but depends where you are in TST.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
59 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from TST to HKIA - cheaper alternative

Technically, it is indeed the cheaper alternative, assuming you know the way to get to Kowloon station by the free shuttle buses (or just walk if you don't have much luggage). From Kowloon station, you can take the mtr to Tung Chun (HKD15.5). From Tung Chung, I think you can take shuttle bus S1 that will only cost HKD3.5 per trip, per person, and you can get off at Terminal 1. I do not know, however, if they let you take luggage on board of S1. So technically speaking it's feasible a route. With all the hassle though, you are saving about 7 MYR. If you have time to kill and like to explore and with very little luggage, no harm to give it a try.

If you are here for vacation, I would suggest just jump on the A21 and enjoy the journey :)

Welcome to HK!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,182 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from TST to HKIA - cheaper alternative

A21 strikes the best balance in terms of time and cost between TST and HKIA, unless your point-of-departure is at Kowloon Station area which is not really TST.

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
790 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from TST to HKIA - cheaper alternative

Hi June

Personally, I think A21 bus is the most convenient as it gets you to the airport directly. You can also see some sights/scenery during the bus ride to the airport like the Tsing Yi bridge

Best of all it only costs HKD33 :)

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,522 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from TST to HKIA - cheaper alternative

The cheapest way from TST to Airport is by MTR to Tung Chung, then bus S1 to the airport. You would pay a total of $13.8 + $3.5 = $17.3 if you pay by octopus card.

If I were traveling light, I would take this route to save money. But if you have a lot of luggage and elderlies with you, then better stick to bus A21. No need to make transfers and fight the crowds on the trains.

6. Re: Getting from TST to HKIA - cheaper alternative

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2011, 06:20