We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HONG KONG and what other city?

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
HONG KONG and what other city?

I've been reading this forum for quite a while now ... i'll be travelling to Hong Kong and Tokyo next month,, and am planning a quick three day de-tour someplace, and Singapore was always my destination of choice.

However, alof of reviews you read up on here, opinions of friends is that Singapore is pretty 'STERILE' .... it's just another western capitalisitic city, and it's questioned wether i should bother going.

I'm 30 from London, bringing my girlfriend. I like touristy attractions type things, but i also want to see the real country how the indigenious population live, pick up on their culture, i love hussle bussle, i'm not too bothered about clubs, drinking etc .. but some nightlife is essential. I'm not all bothered by shopping, although i do love browsing those fake markets as a laugh, and i'm not one for countryside or scenary at all, i also have a major fear of insects (i thought i'd add it for no reason at all).

As i'm doing Hong Kong and Tokyo ... maybe Singaproe is too much of the same thing, perhaps i need something different. Are there any other cities nearby that might be a little different?

I loved Bangkok, really loved it! But my girlfriend doesn't want to go back there, and wants something a little different. I've looked at Vietnam, Cambodia, etc but where do you start? Seoul? China isn't an option cos i can't be bothered getting a visa at this late stage.

Anyone?

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HONG KONG and what other city?

Kyoto and Osaka while in Japan?

Maybe Macau while in Hong Kong - but you are not into scenery.

You can get a visa at the border for Shenzhen (469Rmb for UK passport holders) but maybe only worth a day or two.

HCMC (Saigon) perhaps - if you like Bangkok (but maybe your girlfriend won't).

London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: HONG KONG and what other city?

Won't Saigon just be a second rate Bangkok ?

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HONG KONG and what other city?

Saigon and Bangkok - similar, but I find Saigon much more raw than Bangkok. Certainly not second rate. For something different, head to Hanoi in the north.

Another thought - you could stop off in Shanghai visa free if you are there for less than 24 hours.

Denmark
Level Contributor
164 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HONG KONG and what other city?

Hey JasbySiny

I'm also going to Hong Kong next month and I am in the same dilemma as you and your girlfriend :o) Last year I spend almost 3 weeks in Japan in April and if this is your first time you really have something to look forward to - I love Japan. Later I was in Singapore and Hong Kong. I only spend a few days in Singapore but I was glad I did. I was really facinated by it and I wouldn't mind going again (I've posted some clips from both Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong and Macou on youtube in case you need inspiration youtube.com/user/…nByLFKmUZK4 )

I want to combine my stay in HKG (I will celebrate CNY in HKG) with some days somewhere else. I'm not sure whether to go to Shanghai, Taipei, Seoul, Bangkok or a short trip back to Japan. Due to the current situation in Korea I'm not sure if this is the time to go and regarding Shanghai I have been warned that it will be very cold and very crowded around CNY.

My options are therefore down to Taipei, Japan or Bangkok.

Let me know what you decide to go for and why as it might help me too ;o) Thanks

Happy Holidays from Denmark

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
640 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HONG KONG and what other city?

If you have just 3 days for another city, I would spend more time in Japan BUT since you mentioned that you are not into countryside or scenery, it will have to be another country. Japanese cities are similar imo.

How about Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia? You can see the Petronas Towers, Chinatown, Little India, etc and you don't need a visa. You can make a day trip to Malacca, a touristy historical town.

You'll need a visa for Vietnam, but you can arrange for a visa on arrival via online agent. I would prefer Hanoi as it's more interesting than HCMC imo.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HONG KONG and what other city?

Taipei.

You can get many flights there at a reasonable price.

Different culture - kind of a cross between China and Japan in some respects.

Great food.

Great culture.

The night markets are some of the best that I have been to.

Have a look at it and see if it fits your criteria.

It is only 90min flight - KL is alot longer than that.

No visa problems for Taiwan either. Although, little english is spoken.

Edited: 22 December 2010, 05:35
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,015 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HONG KONG and what other city?

What were your things your girlfriend doesn't like about Bangkok? If it's just that she has been there too many a time, maybe you could try somewhere like Pattaya, even better smaller islands like Koh Samet or Koh Chang? I know it might not be a 100% of your choice but there are like a bit sun & sand and night life (cos clubs / bars of those places closes a bit later than the 'official hours'...) just a relaxing aptmosphere... The best thing is that the price for the air tickets are pretty cheap from Hong Kong / Japan

leicester
Level Contributor
251 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HONG KONG and what other city?

I did Hong Kong and then travelled to Penang to get away from the hustle and bustle and just to relax, also went from Penang to Kuala Lumpur which was also great!

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,274 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HONG KONG and what other city?

I will also second Tapei, with KL and possibly Manilla coming second and third choices. All three are very different, with their own "personalities". It is a shame you cannot go to China, because Shanghai is one of those "must see" cities.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HONG KONG and what other city?

Couple nights in Macau and/or a few nights in Kyoto (with a day in Nara).