We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Day Hongkong Itinerary for April 2011 - Critique Plz !!!

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
444 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
5 Day Hongkong Itinerary for April 2011 – Critique Plz !!!

Hi,

We will be a group of 5 in Hong Kong in mid-April next year. I have done some research and tentatively come up with an itinerary below. Will really appreciate if you could review and provide your inputs.

Day 1

We arrive in HK from Singapore at about half past ten and by the time we reach our hotel, relax a bit and then head out for lunch it would be easily past noon.

After lunch we intend to take a harbour cruise by star ferry and then head to Victoria Peak by Tram. We plan to do the 1-hr Peack Circle Walk and then go to Madam Tussad’s and finally to Sky Terrace at dusk.

I have 2 queries for this day:

(1) I am not sure if we should do a one hour star ferry round trip cruise or should just do one way normal Kowloon to Central star ferry ride and then take 15C to Peak Tram station ? Is one hour harbour cruise more worthwhile than a 5-10 minute ferry ride?

(2) I am in two minds about Madam Tussads. Do they have primarily local celebrities which we may find difficult to identify with or there are wax statues of international figures too?

Day 2

Today we plan to do a day trip to Lantau Island with NP Cable Car – Shows and Po Lin Monastrey and Giant Buddha. Will probably also do the ‘Wisdom Path’ hike if it looks inviting. No Tai O village for us as we have seen a few fishing villages in Thailand & Vietnam so will head back with probably a brief stop at Citygate Outlet just to check if it is really cheaper than Singapore.

If we are upto it may go to Ladies Market / Jade Market market after dinner.

Again 2 queries:

(1) Are ‘Walking with Buddha’ and ‘Monkey Tales’ show at NP Village worthwhile for adults or are they meant for kids in which case we may wanna give them a miss,

(2) Is this day a bit light because I have read that NP Village and Giant Buddha can be done in 3-4 hours.

Day 3

This is a day where I am most unsure about my plans.

Tentatively, we plan to go to Stanley first then Repulse Bay and finally to Ocean Park.

But our group is really not at all into rides etc. so am not sure whether Ocean Park is right choice for us or will have enough to do/see for us if we don’t take any rides. Key attractions for us are Dolphin show, Panda Habitat, Cable Car, Balloon ride etc. Am also wondering if the aquarium is similar to Underwater World in Singapore?

Also, I have researched both Stanley and Repulse Bay a bit and understand key attraction is Stanley Market and a small monastery/temple at Repulse Bay. Are they worth the time and effort?

Frankly, will really appreciate all your advise and assurance regarding my plans for this day or your suggestions for some other attraction/activity etc. on this day.

Day 4

Today we plan to do a guided day trip to Sai Kung. It is ‘Sai Kung Coastal Treasure’ tour recommended on HKTB website.

discoverhongkong.com/australia/local-tours/o…

Key attraction of this tour is basically the boat tour of Sai Kung Geo Park and I have not been able to find any other similar tour. Only issue is that this tour it seems run only with minimum 8 people and we are just 5 so closer to our travel date we will need to figure if this would run or not.

In the evening, will make time for a stroll around Avenue of Stars and watch Symphony of Lights show.

If we are upto it may go to Ladies Market / Jade Market after dinner if not covered already.

Two queries for this day:

(1) Does anyone know any other quality boat tours for Sai Kung Geopark natural attractions. We basically want to take in scenic views and less of fishing village and life.

(2) Symphony show on this day will be narrated in local language. Would it be better if we shift this to a day when narration is in English. Does that add to the experience ?

Day 5

Plan to go to Nanling Garden, Chu Lin Nunnery and Wong Tai Sin temple in the morning for a 1.5-2 hour excursion (Is it enough ??).

In afternoon, we check-out and head to Airport for our 3pm flight back to Singapore.

Queries:

(1) I am not clear whether 'Ping Shan Heritage Trail' is a better option for our morning excursion or the temple, monastery and garden. Any recommendations?

(2) Are we missing something in HK which we should instead try covering this morning, please note we have a flight in afternoon so we have limited time this morning.

So that’s our plan. Look forward to TA members’ invaluable advice on how to make best use of our 5 days in HK. Thanks in advance.

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
787 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 Day Hongkong Itinerary for April 2011 – Critique Plz !!!

Hi there

Day 2

(1) Are ‘Walking with Buddha’ and ‘Monkey Tales’ show at NP Village worthwhile for adults or are they meant for kids in which case we may wanna give them a miss

I have done 'Walking with Buddha', it's not really meant for kids. Basically it tells the story of how Buddha achieved enlightenment via a short video presentation and then we had to walk through a short passage which is suppose to be the journey Buddha went through. That's about it.

(2) Is this day a bit light because I have read that NP Village and Giant Buddha can be done in 3-4 hours.

You can also have vegetarian meal at Giant Buddha after you have visited Giant Buddha.

Day 5

Plan to go to Nanling Garden, Chu Lin Nunnery and Wong Tai Sin temple in the morning for a 1.5-2 hour excursion (Is it enough ??).

In afternoon, we check-out and head to Airport for our 3pm flight back to Singapore.

Queries:

(1) I am not clear whether 'Ping Shan Heritage Trail' is a better option for our morning excursion or the temple, monastery and garden. Any recommendations?

(2) Are we missing something in HK which we should instead try covering this morning, please note we have a flight in afternoon so we have limited time this morning.

You definitely will not have enough time for Ping Shan Heritage Trail as the journey time to & fro from Kowloon is about 1.5 hours and the trail needs at least 2 hours to cover it well.

Happy planning & have a good trip

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,094 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 Day Hongkong Itinerary for April 2011 – Critique Plz !!!

Regarding Geopark tours Traway Travel are running a Northeast New Territories Geopark Tour from Ma Liu Shui Pier near University Station every Saturday. Details here;

http://www.traway.com.hk/

On Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays Sai Kung Geoheritage Information Centre next to Sai Kung Bus Station is open where you can pick up leaflets with suggested Geopark tour routes. There are numerous boat operators on the nearby promenade offering various tour routes or you can rent a sampan at any time from one of the "old ladies" touting for business along the promenade and decide your own tour route;

flickr.com/photos/…

or ask them to follow the suggested boat tour route;

www.geopark.gov.hk/en_geopark_routes1.html

When the Sai Kung Information Centre is not open you can get leaflets and information from the Geopark Visitor Centre at the Lions Education Centre on the outskirts of Sai Kung.

Singapore
Level Contributor
444 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 Day Hongkong Itinerary for April 2011 – Critique Plz !!!

Thanks lwk-my and SolentTraveller.

1. So, if we only do Po Lin Monastrey, Giant Buddha and Wisdom Path (no more Buddha and monkey shows) then even after lunch we should be done in 3-4 hours. What do you suggest we do second half of the day (No Tai O). Can we go to say Stanley Market and Repulse Bay on this day then?

2. For Sai Kung – I thought that the tour mentioned on HKTB site is the only one. But Solent if we visit on Saturday then are you suggesting that we could do the scenic boat route with any of the boat operators nearby? That would be really handy because I dodn’t really want to depend on a tour operator and their timings etc. Have you cruised around Sai Kung Boat route/ Is it as good as pics make it out to be?

3. I am now considering doing a day trip to Macau (for House of Dancing Water show ) on our Day 3 if Stanley & Repulse Bay could be done on the same day as Lantau. Does that improve our trip?

4. Also will appreciate if someone could respond to my queries on Tussauds museum and Sympony of Light show.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,094 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 Day Hongkong Itinerary for April 2011 – Critique Plz !!!

Re Sai Kung, yes you can go to the promenade any day where you'll find the Tanka ladies touting for business and they will take you wherever you want to go. Take a map if you can to point out where you want to go and avoid language difficulties. The whole coastal area around Sai Kung Town and the country park is very scenic. I've been out to Sharp Island before the National Geopark came into being and taken the Jockey Club ferry out to Kau Sai Chai many times, both are worth the visit. I intend hiring a sampan myself from Sai Kung myself sometime in the next month to explore parts of the Geopark and will post more information here afterwards.

Singapore
Level Contributor
444 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 Day Hongkong Itinerary for April 2011 – Critique Plz !!!

Thanks Solent !!! Am reworking my itinerary a bit and will bother you again for inputs soon :)

Edited: 03 January 2011, 04:32
6. Re: 5 Day Hongkong Itinerary for April 2011 – Critique Plz !!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2011, 07:22