We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation Worries

London, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Accommodation Worries

Hello all!

Money is tight the next few months as I'm paying off furniture in my flat, but I have the chance to fly to Hong Kong in April on a free ticket (taxes only) and really don't want to miss this opportunity.

The thing that puts me off is the standard of accommodation there. I think my budget for a hotel would be £250 for 5 nights. I'm travelling solo so wouldn't be able to share the cost of a double. From research, it just seems that all I can get for that is a dirty shoebox in this place called Chungking Mansions or similar. The rooms look quite nasty and I wouldn't be comfortable there.

Is that really all I can get for this price?? Should I maybe just stay for 4 nights instead or just wait until I have more money next year?

Experienced Hong-Kongers- help me!!

Cheers,

Oli :)

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation Worries

Some places in CM are fine. Most are clean. Area is seedy but safe. There are hostels on HK island that seem better. Do a search. Only you know what you will put up with. Actually there was one mentioned a few weeke ago that seemed ex. will try to find it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation Worries

THE YMCA IN KOWLOON.

Or go to Mong Kok or Yau Ma Tei Towns.

There you will find smaller hotels avey cost effective.

Also go onto website wotif.com, check out

Good luck

Albon

Changsha

london
Level Contributor
151 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation Worries

What a great idea. The YMCA Kowloon is next door to the Peninsula Hotel, and five minutes walk to star ferry. Overlooks the harbour, and easy to get around everywhere from there.

uk
Level Contributor
154 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation Worries

wharney in wamchai booked through BA decent hotel great location. about £50 per night usually

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
627 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation Worries

it works out to about hkd 610 per night. you don't really need to stay at a hostel. check asiatravel.com also. once you find a hotel you like, check hotel reviews to see what is it like.

also check specialty lodging reviews on hostels.

anne black guest house seem to have pretty good overall reviews and price very reasonable.

if you go in april, keep checking wotif.com (i have used and no problem) or asiatravel.com in march to see if you can get good hotel at that time.

good luck and have fun.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
8,044 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation Worries

Also, HK's public transport is brilliant: frequent, cheap, safe and clean, so you don't have to restrict yourself to the "usual" tourist areas unless you plan to be out late clubbing every night (which would NOT help the budget!). Areas like Tsuen Wan, Shatin, Chai Wan and Sai Ying Pun offer good value hotels.

The YMCA just next to the Peninsula hotel might be out of your budget, but there's another cheaper but still hotel quality one up in Yaumatei.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,312 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation Worries

Since you are coming in April the options are limited with your budget. The YMCA Salisbury which is right next to the Peninsula is actually a 4 stars hotel. It would be way out of your budget. The Cityview which is in Yaumatei is a 3 stars hotel but in April I'm afraid it would also exceed your budget by about 30% or more.

you could check out the 'hostel' rooms at the Cityview though. They are indeed single rooms but with share toilets. However, you'll have to double check with them directly cos I think there's a limit on the length of stay.

Other choice would be the Ibis in North Point. It's in a residential district and the rooms are extremely small but it's convenient enough (MTR station just a block away) and there are rooms with Harbour View. Only concern is that the price MIGHT not fit your budget in April. Make up your mind ASAP and check with the Accor website cos they usually have 'early bird' offers

Perth
Level Contributor
740 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation Worries

The public transport is very good in Hong Kong and it is not a big country. You could choose to stay away from the main areas, the hotels are cheaper but you will spend a little more time travelling.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
746 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation Worries

You can eat and get about cheaply so if you can solve the accommodation problem then GO FOR IT!

4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Accommodation Worries

Hi there. I'm a local. Dun stay in hostel in mongkok/yaumatei areas. It's not safe. Check this:

Ibis century inn hotel - in north point of hong kong side, subway with 3 mins walk.

I'm not sure how the room looks like, but environment should be much better than those hostel/inn.