We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comm Bank ATM Card use in HK

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Comm Bank ATM Card use in HK

Can someone please tell me what ATM in Hong Kong I can use my Commonwealth Bank ATM in to get cash.

I'm not having much luck finding this information on their website.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,502 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Comm Bank ATM Card use in HK

Provided your card has one of the symbols of the major card networks (Visa, Mastercard, Cirrus, etc), you can use it in any ATM.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,329 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Comm Bank ATM Card use in HK

I expect that it will work pretty much at every ATM.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Comm Bank ATM Card use in HK

Yeah it does. I know some banks have an alliance with some banks. I was hoping Comm Bank here in Australia had one with a bank in Hong Kong.

Want to avoid paying transactions fees if possible (apart from the standard conversion fee, which can't be avoided).

I got slugged $120 in fees using my card in the US because my bank doesn't have an alliance with US banks.

Edited: 19 February 2011, 00:59
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,234 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Comm Bank ATM Card use in HK

Just make sure you are drawing cash from your savings/checking account, not from your credit card account. You will be charged interest for using your credit line, the minute you take cash out from it.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,329 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Comm Bank ATM Card use in HK

To avoid or minimize fees you'd better contact your bank and ask them if they have a relationship with a HK bank.

Another wy to minimize fees is to avoid doing a lot of small withdrawals. Take out the max allowed each time.

It also depends on your package. With my bank I pay no transaction fee for using my card overseas. Every bank is different.

Edited: 19 February 2011, 01:29
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Comm Bank ATM Card use in HK

Waiting to hear back from my back with regards to which bank's ATM I can use.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
7,996 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Comm Bank ATM Card use in HK

Unfortunately I haven't yet discovered an Aussie bank that doesn't charge like a wounded bull for overseas transactions :-( (maybe if you always keep a minimum balance of AUD10,000 or something, but I ain't in that league). JPDeM's suggestion of making fewer withdrawals of greater amounts has been my own greatest money-saver.

One thing I discovered when I moved back here is that HK banks do not accept Visa/Mastercard Debit cards, even if they are linked to a savings account. Straight ATM cards, or linked credit cards, are no problem.

P.S. Go the Cats!!!

Edited: 19 February 2011, 04:43
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Comm Bank ATM Card use in HK

I have the Cirrus/Maestro logo on the card. And yeah, I always take large amounts of cash to limit the use of ATM's.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Comm Bank ATM Card use in HK

@Vanessa_S1977, CommBank do have a bank branch in HK,and providing private banking services to expat community over here.

YOu could also consider the option to puchase CommBank Travel Money Card. There is a onetime withdrawal fee of HKD17,so compare vis-a-vis with your current card.

In the banking industry, even if there is an alliance-I very much doubt there is waiver of fees,and as mentioned by a thread, unless you are their preferred client maintaining a stipulated monthly average balance amount in accounts or investment accounts.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Comm Bank ATM Card use in HK

When in the US, my cousin used the Bank of America ATM's and didn't get charged the other transaction fees, apart from the small conversion fee.