We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels with the best view of Hong Kong Island from Kowloon

uk
Level Contributor
173 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels with the best view of Hong Kong Island from Kowloon

Hi we need some help we are trying to find a good hotel which is on the water front at Kowloon with rooms with harbour views and near to the star ferry.

We were going to book up the Harbour grand hotel but now looking at the map that seems to be a long way around from anywhere and would not have the good views that we are after. Any help would be apriciated as we are hoping to get this booked tomorrow. We are looking for 4 or 5 star hotels preferably with a pool

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels with the best view of Hong Kong Island from Kowloon

Intercontinental Hong Kong or YMCA Salisbury.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,091 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels with the best view of Hong Kong Island from Kowloon

Agree with Intercontinental Hotel

Peninsula is good as well (if you stay high tower)

I personally like Marco Polo Hong Kong alot too, it's the closest one to the water and facing the BEST part of Central. But Intercontinental and Peninsula is a totally different class on its own. MPHK hotel is a business hotel, but I love the view from their Harbourview Hotel rooms. Their pool is pitiful too compared to the other two.

YMCA is also nice view, but not luxurious at all, "no frills" hotel. Clean, and affordable.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,173 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels with the best view of Hong Kong Island from Kowloon

can't totally agree with Kate with comment over the YMCA. Yes, compare with the Intercontinental and the Peninsula, the YMCA is somewhat 'basic'... but it's a bona fide 4 stars hotel with a 4 stars service and the price being an upper tier 4 stars hotel, a lot of people won't find it 'affordable' with a harbour view room easily reach HK$2000 a night

Yes, the Marco Polo Hong Kong is quite good as well. So are the upper floors room at the Hyatt Regancy TST (the floors closer to the 'appartment' sections)

surprisingly, the view from Langham Place in Mongkok is very attractive as well. Yes, it's in Mongkok so the harbour is a bit far away but that's the beauty of it... You could enjoy the view of downtown Kowloon as well!! I found the best view is from their round shaped corner room (I think it's their Junior Suite or something... )

uk
Level Contributor
173 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels with the best view of Hong Kong Island from Kowloon

Thanks for the help will check out these hotels

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels with the best view of Hong Kong Island from Kowloon

The two Intercontinentals are right on the promenade along the water. The Peninsula's tower has outstanding views, and is obviously top dollar. I stayed at the Hyatt Tsim Sha Tsui, and had an outstanding view of the lighted hotels around Central and Wanchai, and the extraordinary laser light show bouncing off of the tallest buildings on both sides of the harbour every night at 8.00. I also stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Wanchai, right by the water on the island side, and had magnificent views of the harbour and Kowloon. It has a rooftop garden and a superb buffet breakfast.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
53,614 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels with the best view of Hong Kong Island from Kowloon

Interncontinental, Peninsula, YMCA Salisbury , Marco Polo HK all offer excellent views. Intercontinental Grand Stanford, Nikko, Kowloon Shangri-La are slightly off to TST East where the view is less exciting.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels with the best view of Hong Kong Island from Kowloon

after all these years reading the reviews and recommendations we have finally stayed at the YMCA. What a fantastic hotel. The rooms are a little dated( but still very comfortable) but the location is unbeatable, the service excellent and the price is seriously good for what you get.

We had three rooms all up and the Harbour Suite was an amazing spot to meet each night for drinks to watch the light show before heading out for dinner. With the Peninsula right next door we visited the famous bar, Felix and had high tea another day but also 'Aqua' at 1 Peking Road is just next door on the other side so we were also able to stumble home from there too. The cultural centre across the road also does excellent Yum Cha and the Star Ferry is less then 50 feet away.

We have also had great views from our rooms at the Intercon in the past but tbh the Y is better value and even closer to everything.

Edited: 07 March 2011, 07:30
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
711 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels with the best view of Hong Kong Island from Kowloon

40ishCouple, glad to hear the YMCA was good. I have booked for the first time next month. If their reservation service is anything to go by, it will be a 5-star experience. Not sure where the HK$2,000 came from, possibly CNY. I'm staying next month for a trade fair just before the Canton Fair and the rooms range from about HK$850 to HK$1,100 for Harbour View, with 1 bedroom suites about HK$1,500.I would hardly call these prices upper-tier for a 4-star hotel in Hong Kong.

For the ultimate Harbour View room you can't look further than the Intercontinental, although there is something so Hong Kong about watching the lights from a Star Ferry as it makes its way from Kowloon to the Island.

Level Contributor
4,197 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels with the best view of Hong Kong Island from Kowloon

You may also consider the Sheraton and the Kowloon Shangri La. The latter is somewhat "out of the way" in Tsim Sha Tsui East and the location is not as convenient as the other hotels mentioned.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,091 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels with the best view of Hong Kong Island from Kowloon

onelightyear,

So, what did I say about YMCA that is incorrect? it is really not a luxurious hotel at all, I didn't say it isn't a good hotel. But, one must agree it is not in the same ranking as the neighbouring hotels in the area that have excellent harbour views, such as Intercontinental, Peninsula, Marco Polo, Sheraton....etc.

For Harbourviews, I wouldn't consider the ones in TST East, you can't really see the view one expect if one was to stay in the top choices like mentioned above.

That is why, the price per night in these hotels reflect their advantage.