We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Hong Kong- Causeway Bay or Kowloon?

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Hong Kong- Causeway Bay or Kowloon?

Hi,

Mike & I will be staying for 6 nights in Hong Kong my cousin who lived in HK but has now moved to Australia recommended Kowloon. He said he stays here when he goes back and it is central. My travel agent said the same. However my daughter and her best friend who has HK relatives (both visited there several times) said Causeway Bay was better as it is not as touristy as Kowloon.

My Grandparents had a house in Kowloon in Canarven Road so I thought it might be nice to stay near there. I know their house has since gone but all the same. Also I saw a picture of the HK harbour city lights from Kowloon and it looked really pretty.

I am a little confused now and don't know what to do. Also do the Stanley Markets run only on the weekends and are the Ladies markets any good? I believe they are in Kowloon.

Thank you in advantage,

Cheers,

Sharon

Mentioned in this post
Causeway Bay
Causeway Bay
1,046 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Myhktour
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips
TramOramic Sightseeing Tour
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,232 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Hong Kong- Causeway Bay or Kowloon?

If you look at the FAQ section and the countless threads on this topic, there's only 1 conclusion. Hong Kong is relatively small and it has 1 of the best public transportation systems in the world. All you need is to stay in a hotel that is close to the subway line and you're fine.

It doesn't matter if you stay in Causeway Bay or Mongkok / Tsim Sha Tsui in Kowloon because these places are all abundant in commercial stores and restaurants.

No matter where you stay, you can always go to the other side conveniently.

Ladies Market sell mostly souvenirs, touristy stuff and knock-offs. Not a place for quality goods.

Edited: 20 March 2011, 12:26
Mentioned in this post
Causeway Bay
Causeway Bay
1,046 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
11,079 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Hong Kong- Causeway Bay or Kowloon?

.........and Stanley Market opens every day. Shops/stalls open from about 9 to10am until 5-30 to 6pm.

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Hong Kong- Causeway Bay or Kowloon?

Known tourist traps -

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294217-i1496-k305…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294217-i1496-k376…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294217-i1496-k353…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294217-i1496-k372…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294217-i1496-k373…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294217-i1496-k251…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294217-i1496-k479…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294217-i1496-k102…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294217-i1496-k616…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294211-i642-k3196…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294217-i1496-k376…

Edited: 21 March 2011, 06:01
london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Hong Kong- Causeway Bay or Kowloon?

My personal preference would be for Causeway Bay. I find that the island is less frenetic than Kowloon and you do not seem to be being forever hassled by people trying to sell you suyits and copy watches etc.

The bottom line tho always comes down to price, for me anyway. If I can get a similar hotel room in Kowloon for £20 less a night than I can in Causeway Bay

then I guess i would opt for Kowloon,

Mentioned in this post
Causeway Bay
Causeway Bay
1,046 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
world
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Hong Kong- Causeway Bay or Kowloon?

Hi Sharon

Must be so exciting to visit the area where your grandparents' house used to be!

Which area to stay in? Depending on your personal taste - what kind of environment do you prefer to be surounded by?

To me, both Causeway Bay and some parts of Kowloon are quite touristy. Tsim Sha Tsui is, in my view, the worst - due to all those 'copy watches, copy bags, suits etc' men (usually Indian looking) who approach you non-stop (and I do mean non-stop, quite bizzare!) - they are a pain.

Some people, however, love the touristy areas and find them convenient (for shopping and sight seeing).

Point is, there are so many other areas in HK, many of which are easy to access by public transport. If you are looking for non touristy areas, then stay away from the area between Central and Causeway Bay in Hong Kong Island (although some streets in between are very local in feel) and central Kowloon (especially TST), but do look for hotels with good access to public transport.

I am quite biased here, as I truly love the non-touristy areas with the local feel and, personally, do not favour the crowded shopping streets where the crowded, hectic, mad & money oriented HK breaths. To find the other HK, which is charming and so full of personality, all you need to do is often to wonder a little bit further.

BTW, Stanley Market is in the southern part of HK island (ie not in Kowloon)easy to get by bus, though - the market itself is just touristy and expensive but the ride there is lovely and the area (including the relaxing park with its walks) is beautiful. I would not recommend Ladies Market - but I know that some tourist love it.

Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Causeway Bay
Causeway Bay
1,046 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Hong Kong- Causeway Bay or Kowloon?

Hi Sharon,

We are going to Hong Kong at the beginning of May for 6 nights and are booked into the Kowlooon Hotel. My wife's sister (a travel agent) sends Aussies their all the time and seems to be a decent choice (although a little small?). It's attached to a MRT station so should be very convenient. We love the idea of being close to the foreshore for walking, and able to see the Light Show easily. Good luck with it all!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,165 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Hong Kong- Causeway Bay or Kowloon?

Like already mentioned, HK isnt that big, so, choose a hotel that fits your budget and needs, then look at the location. As long as you are in the city, you will be fine.

Kowloon is the whole peninsula, so be careful you are not mixed up by kowloon hotel and kowloon.

Most kowloon hotels are in Tsim Sha Tsui.

Most HK island hotels are in : central, admiralty, causeway bay, wan chai

I personally think staying in tourist area has its advantages, it must be lots of shopping, dining, convenient, lots of atmosphere.....regarding the touts that bug you to buy stuff...just a firm "no! I am not interested" will do it. And just avoid eye contact with them.

if you want a nice hotel in non touristy area, take a look at Harbour Grand in North point. Or Crown plaza, in the quieter area of causeway bay.

Mentioned in this post
Harbour Grand Hong Kong
Harbour Grand Hong Kong
3,728 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Hong Kong- Causeway Bay or Kowloon?

HI Sharon,

Just in case you are still wondering about hotels in HK, we just returned from there this morning. Staying in Kowloon, we think, is the best option. We stayed at the 'Kowloon Hotel' (Nathan Rd) and it was so convenient to everything (I just added a hotel review on TA). We had a drink at the Harbour Grand, Causeway Bay, and we both thought the area didn't have the right feel or vibe (drinks on the 48th floor overlooking the harbour were impressive though!) You'll love Honkers - we certainly did!

Mentioned in this post
The Kowloon Hotel
The Kowloon Hotel
1,790 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Harbour Grand Hong Kong
Harbour Grand Hong Kong
3,728 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Causeway Bay
Causeway Bay
1,046 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Hong Kong- Causeway Bay or Kowloon?

Greenarcher- i have actually got some really good knockoffs in the ladies mkt. Far better than the second quality stuff that the filipinas get sent and sell in their mkts. And thats a fact!!

Yeah, i get around a bit....

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Hong Kong- Causeway Bay or Kowloon?

Thank you everybody for all that wonderful information I am now so much better informed!

Trip advisor is such a great website, I think it is terrific! It's full of like minded people like us who love travelling.

Thanks again,

Sharon