We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spectacle copies ?

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
762 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
spectacle copies ?

Are there Optometrists in Hong Kong, who will make copies of existing glasses? Have done this in Malaysia and was very economical, and have heard that frames in HK are also inexpensive .

Thanks

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: spectacle copies ?

Yes there are, almost all of them, but there are fishhooks. I'm a bit pushed for time so I can't go into all of them but if you do a search on this site, you will find several comments about this including many of mine. Best advice in my opinion buy the frames in Hong Kong get the lenses done at home.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
629 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: spectacle copies ?

The last time I had glasses made in hk, both pairs (one regular glasses one sunglasses) were made wrong and had to be redone, this was at two entriely different shops. DOn't have the glasses made there do that at home, fortunately I was in HK for a long time (which is why I had to have the glasses made in HK) and could have my frames redone on both occasions.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,134 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: spectacle copies ?

That's why you want to go to shops staffed by Part 1 registered(class 1) optometrists who are the most qualified and likely to supply properly prescribed lenses. These have university degrees in optometry. Basic eye exams(refraction) are usually "free".

Edited: 02 April 2011, 14:09
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
629 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: spectacle copies ?

I did, Iwent to Optical 88 and Lenscrafters, and both managed to screw up my lens. I will give them credit for replacing the lens but obvioulsy it took time and couldn't be done quickly. I should clarify the prescription wasn'

t wrong the lens were cut wrong which was the problem with one paier and the other were manufactured wrong. Sloppy sloppy sloppy.

5. Re: spectacle copies ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 07:15