We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report : 6-21 March 2011 pt 3

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
172 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report : 6-21 March 2011 pt 3

17 March : Took bus 63 from North Point to Stanley. Visited Stanley Markets, Maritime Museum and a new park just opened called Stanley Ma Hang Park. Then bus to Repulse Bay for a quick look (overcast but a nice beach). Bus then to Aberdeen where we had a ride on a sampan. Evening meal over on the Jumbo which was nice. Bus back to Central thru the tunnel then MTR to Fortress Hill.

18 March : MTR to the Wetland Park via a number of lines and ending up on the Light Rail. There were very few people at the Park, maybe due to dull weather or a weekday. Returned by bus 967 to Admiralty. Had a delicious late lunch at Luk Yu Tea House and returned to Gu’s Embroidery in Hollywood Road to buy the ‘painting’ I so much liked and wandered around Central area again. Evening meal at our Hotel, Le 188 restaurant.

19 March : Today was wet but that didn’t change our plans and off on the Ding Ding to the Museum of Coastal Defence which is a hidden gem, then MTR over to the Science Museum in TST with evening meal at Lei Garden in Mody Road. Walked back along Avenue of Stars area (again), ferry and MTR back to hotel.

20 March : Sadly today was our last day so we revisited Hong Kong Park, and up to the Peak and walked up to Victoria Peak Garden and right up to the end of the road. No views due to cloudy weather but still a good walk. Returned to Wonderfish Spa again at The Peak Galleria for my feet, which surprisingly weren’t covered in blisters despite the amount of walking done. Mid afternoon returned to Airport for some plane spotting, after buying a 2 person group ticket for the Airport Express. Then a 7.15 pm departure back home via Auckland.

21 March : Return to Christchurch. Needless to say, we had a wonderful trip. There is so much more to Hong Kong than just a few days stop over, it is full of beautiful parks surrounded by highrises, the people are friendly, most places of interest signs are in English and the Octopus card sure beats cash. Get some self guided walking maps and your Octopus card and get ready to explore Hong Kong as you won’t be disappointed.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Macau
Level Contributor
7,712 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report : 6-21 March 2011 pt 3

Jessiev, thanks so much for taking time to write this detailed report - I'm glad you enjoyed your time here :-)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,079 posts
5,332 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report : 6-21 March 2011 pt 3

I concur! What a fantastic contribution. Well done on this three part write up.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report : 6-21 March 2011 pt 3

Thanks Jessie, great report, we are planning a visit later this year so this has been a great help.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report : 6-21 March 2011 pt 3

Just to add I did read the first 2 before this one and all are great.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
172 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report : 6-21 March 2011 pt 3

Thanks. One day we hope to return, but it will be years away. I don't know how people manage to just stay a few days - there's so much to see and do.

BKK
Level Contributor
533 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report : 6-21 March 2011 pt 3

Thanks for the reports. You certainly covered a lot of ground.

Could you tell us what you liked and why? Also what you didn't like and why? Maybe what you would recommend vs not recommend.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
172 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report : 6-21 March 2011 pt 3

Hi Prime,

Every day was enjoyable, HK is so varied.

The parks are wonderful, being surrounded by highrises - I come from a city where most people live in a stand alone house, have a garden, lawn, and a seperate garage - we certainly didn't see any of that. We are not used to crowds in streets or shops (apart from sale times) but we enjoyed the atmosphere day and night - it is so different from home and felt completely safe.

Public Transport is so utilised, here in Christchurch this just doesn't happen as we don't have the population (and now the roads are pretty bad in parts due to the earthquakes, and the central city is basically locked down).

The Hong Kong Flower Show certainly was a highlight even though we didn't plan our holiday to coincide with this being on. It was nice seeing the local families out having a good time there. Cheung Chau was a completely different pace of life compared to the hustle of the city.

There is nothing we didn't really like - everything was so new - one small point I didn't like was the touts and fortune tellers around in TST area but after a few touts approaching us, we got used to it and the so called 'coffee' just didn't do it for me.

I'm a bit of a foodie so enjoyed all the food, looking at the menus and deciding on where to dine and photographing most meals. Just the variety of restaurants and markets was amazing, seeing wet markets in the city - no refrigeration and no flies but meat/chicken/fish looking so fresh and appealing.

And of course the hotel we stayed in - it was wonderful. We chose Harbour Grand HK based on being close to an MTR station and for harbour views / value for money / size of room - we didn't want to stay in a tiny room with no views for a fortnight.

I suppose many visitors come to HK from large cities so the excitement of seeing crowds, large buildings, shops shops and more shops, and hopping on the underground might be just normal, but for me coming from a city where this really doesn't happen, is a wonderful experience.

I recommend that visitors need more than just a few days to see the true HK, yes see the city and the amusement parks and the shops and the tram - these are all good, but also take time to go out into the New Territories, climb the steps to the 10,000 Buddhas as well as the Big Buddah, hop on a ferry out to the smaller islands, in the city explore the little lanes and wet markets.

We have travelled extensively thru the South Island of NZ, seen parts of our North Island, go over to Australia every few years having seen most cities in Australia, and visited Europe years ago. HK has been the best overseas holiday I've had so far (but a tiny coastal town called Port Douglas which we've visited 3 times in Queensland, Australia comes 2nd). But NZ is my home and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else but here in Chch despite our earthquakes.

Hope this helps.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
138 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report : 6-21 March 2011 pt 3

Fantastic report, thanks for taking the time to post it. It is reports like yours that keep me going between travels !

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report : 6-21 March 2011 pt 3

Great report! Have noted a few things down for when I'm there in September.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report : 6-21 March 2011 pt 3

Interesting Trip Report ....

If you like parks & walks did u visit Lantau Island , Lamma Island or Peng Chau Island / Cheung Chau, a small island with a traditional fishing village.

Hong Kong is surprisingly interesting if you dare to venture from the shops !

Thank you for sharing.... your report brought back many memories.!

Edited: 13 April 2011, 16:18