We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

outdoor wetmarket

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
outdoor wetmarket

Are there any outdoor wetmarkets left? or are they all in buildins?

thanks

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
181 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: outdoor wetmarket

Still a few left, but not really extensive

Graham street, central (old and under threat)

Cross street, wanchai (very small)

There may be more in outer districts.

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: outdoor wetmarket

In Wan Chai :

Wan Chai Road / Bowrington Road / Cross Street.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Macau
Level Contributor
7,708 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: outdoor wetmarket

In Shau Kei Wan - Kam Wah St.

There's also quite a big one in Yuen Long, but I don't know the name of the streets.

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
728 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: outdoor wetmarket

A great way to experience the local atmosphere, but take a sprig of mint to bung up the nose !! Some can be exceedingly high !

4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: outdoor wetmarket

Yes, there are still a few outdoor wet market in hk - Shaukeiwan, Mongkok, Causeway Bay are all easy to assess. If you are a food lover, this is good to join a cooking class together with your tour in wet market.

See below an article in NYTimes for an intro to hk wet market and a few cooking class option you can take.

…nytimes.com/2011/…

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,042 posts
5,330 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: outdoor wetmarket

Interesting. Think I might check some of these out to practice some photography, haven't visited any of our outdoor wet markets for some time now.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,057 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: outdoor wetmarket

One of the most atmospheric outdoor markets is at Chun Yeung Street in North Point, where you'll often see groups of photographers lined up at the tram terminus end of the street. Always a fasciniting hive of activity to observe amongst the old buildings with the busy stalls, crowds of shoppers, the cardboard box collectors (who surreptitiously douse the middle of the pile with water to increase the weight before wheeling away the trolleys) and the tram slowly inching its way right through the middle of the market;

discoverhongkong.com/tramguide/…

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,339 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: outdoor wetmarket

Chun Yeung St is indeed a good location. I used to go there with my mother as a kid. I'd be staring at the just butchered fish, Chinese edible frogs (not a pretty sight when they killed those), checking out the quality of the eggs by putting it up against a light bulb looking for clarity (probably no longer practiced), and get bored by the vegetables. The tram indeed makes a nice backdrop.

Bowrington Market and Graham St probably have a better market feel than Wan Chai Road as many of the Wan Chai stalls are not as "outdoor" these days vs the other two.

9. Re: outdoor wetmarket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 13:16