We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap shoppings. Cheap eats. Budget travel :)

Singapore
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cheap shoppings. Cheap eats. Budget travel :)

Good day all HK trip advisors,

I'm travelling on a budget. I'll be there for 2 days on the 1st week of July. Juz wondering if anyone can help me on the following:-

1. Night market (weekday not weekend)

2. Cheap and yummy food (I don't mind travelling)

3. Cheap shoppings (Is it safe? Wll they chase after me? LOL)

4. Water goods (Imitations)

5. Any 24 hours or late night shoppings (weekday not weekend)

6. Any 24 hours or late night supper? (weekday not weekend)

The other thing is I would like to expeience taking buses in HK. How does the system works? I heard they don't have bells in the bus but juz yell at the driver to alight, true? Are there proper bus stops to alight or can we alight anywhere we want? How much to pay for bus rides? Are cab rides expensive? (In case I got lost)

Is it safe to move about after late?

I'm sorry if my list is so long. It's my 1st time there and a pity its only for 2 days. I juz wanna make my 2 days worth while I'm there. Thanks so much for your kind attention! xoxoxo :))

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
22,608 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap shoppings. Cheap eats. Budget travel :)

Cheap shopping: Temple street night market, Women's street. Cheap eats, the many bakeries where you can get something for $5 HK, the many tea cafes (Cafe de Coral is a chain but we eat there also). There are not that many 24 hr places in HK, late nights, but not 24 hrs. Not much imitation goods in HK, you'll have to go to China.

HK is one of the safest cities in the world, But still there are crimes such as pickpockets. So just be careful esp. late night.

Mentioned in this post
Temple Street Night Market
Temple Street Night...
2,197 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
11,058 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap shoppings. Cheap eats. Budget travel :)

BUSES - ordinary buses (franchised buses), mainly double-deck, but also some single-deckers all operate on fixed routes with fixed timetables and bus stops, most of which display route information and fares. All have bells and many (mostly KMB and Long Win at the moment) have internal displays showing name of next bus stop in English and Chinese. All Citybus Cityflyer "A" prefix airport buses and all Long Win Airbus airport buses display route information inside the bus. Fares are relatively cheap compared to most other cities and most fares are based on where you board the bus, regardless of distance you travel except on a few routes where sectional fares are available. About 90% of all fares are paid using Octopus Card which is almost essential for using public transport in HK and you should get one. All Lantau Island buses are single-deck and have bells, but not working internal bus stop information displays (these are in the course of being fitted). KMB has an iPhone app with route finder, fares and, using GPS allows you to set a reminder for when the bus is approaching the stop you want to get off at. You can plan journeys and obtain route information and fares from the bus companies websites. More information;

www.hongkongextras.com/busservices.html

The top deck of a double-deck bus is a good way to see HK and there are plenty of scenic routes.

Minibuses are the buses where you may have to indicate to driver when you want to get off. They all seat 16 and no standing is allowed. There are two types, green (top) and red (top) and they operate quite differently.

Green minibuses operate on fixed routes and have fixed fares and I think all now accept Octopus Card. Destinations are usually displayed on the front of the bus in Chinese and English, although English isn't always displayed. Some (not many) do, in fact, have buzzers or bells although locals never seem to use them, preferring the traditional method of calling out to the driver to stop. If you are taking a minibus to its terminus this obviously isn't a problem as it will stop anyway, and if you want to get off at an intermediate stop where somebody else is getting off or on it isn't a problem either. Its really only when you want to get off at an intermediate stop where nobody else is getting off that you need to attract the drivers attention. If you're sat near the back of a noisy minibus this isn't always easy although the locals all seem suitably equipped with loud voices for this task. I always try and sit near the driver if I think I'm going to need to get off at an intermediate stop. Often, green minibuses stops don't have any physical bus stops and when wanting to board mid-route a little local knowledge is sometimes required. As with franchised buses fares are based on where you get on the bus, not where you get off, but sectional fares are available on many routes, in which case, unless you know how to juggle with the Octopus machine buttons, stick to paying exact fare in coins.

Green minibus routes and fares are available on the Transport Dept website;

td.gov.hk/en/…index.html

Red minibuses routes and fares are unregulated. They don't have to stick to fixed routes and can vary fares as they see fit. I think only a few accept Octopus Card. Not advisable for tourists to use red minibuses.

The size of the fleet of minibuses is limited by law to 4350 (3020 green and 1330 red)

More information on green and red minibuses and how to use them;

hongkongextras.com/_minibus_public_light_bus…

Edited: 06 June 2011, 20:55
Mentioned in this post
Lantau Island
Lantau Island
5,042 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
ps2
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
189 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap shoppings. Cheap eats. Budget travel :)

1. Night market: Ladie's street, Temple Street

2. Cheap and Yummy Food:

You can find many choices of cheap and yummy food in Hong Kong. Examples include Wonton noodles, Fish ball flat rice noodles, Egg tart, "Pineapple" bun, Hong Kong Style milk tea, etc. Eateries such as food court in shopping mall (e.g., Food Republic in Times Square (Causeway Bay) and Slivercort (Tsium Sha Tsui)), chain Fast Food Shop (Cafe de Coral), local cafe (Tsui Wah Restaruant), or even street side stalls are places to go.

3. Cheap shopping:

Fa Yuen Street (the portion near Prince Edward MTR station) for clothing, assessories and other stuffs. Goods are mostly fixed priced and come with a price tag in almost all shops and some stalls on this street, so you don't need to bargain (but you DO have to bargain in Ladies street and Temple street markets). If you see a high-end branded item in very low price, expect it to be a fake one.

H&M, Cotton On, Bossini are shops for low to middle end clothing.

4. "water good": may be temple street or ladies street? but less varieties and higher price as compared with Shenzhen (mainland China). Remember to bargain.

5. 24 hours or late night shoppings:

Temple street, opens until around 11pm.

6. 24 hours or late night supper:

For cheap choices, there are some McDonalds and Tsui Wah (local cafe) opens 24 hours. Some congee shops opens past mid night

http://www.tsuiwahrestaurant.com/info.html

http://www.oceanempire.com.hk/eng/p6.asp

Otherwise, many cafes, restaurants and pubs opens past mid night where you can have a proper dinner or grip some late night snacks.

Mentioned in this post
Times Square
Times Square
781 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Causeway Bay
Causeway Bay
1,053 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Tsui Wah Restaurant
Tsui Wah Restaurant
654 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Fa Yuen Street
Fa Yuen Street
205 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
MTR
MTR
19,420 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Shenzhen
Shenzhen
Guangdong, China
McDonald's
McDonald's
339 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
335 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap shoppings. Cheap eats. Budget travel :)

read my blog for cheap ideas for clothing, food etc. hongkongmissymissy.blogpost.com

Have fun

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,369 posts
6,196 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap shoppings. Cheap eats. Budget travel :)

Cheap mkt, food and fun - go with Mongkok. Lots of hawker style food and cheap restaurants. The food is pretty good as its quite competitive in the local dining seen. You can buy cheap stuff on Fa Yuen street and Ladies market. For nice, affordable accommodations, I might recommend Dragon Hostel as well, near Argyle street, where the Ladies (night) market begins.

For budget eating you can try any of our franchise restaurants as well.

McDonalds

McCafe

Fairwood (Chinese fast food)

Cafe De Coral (Chinese fast food)

Maxim (Chinese fast food - with dim sum)

Pacific Coffee (HK version of Starbucks)

Starbucks (not cheap but can get a fair price breakfast.

Fun 24 hour dining at Flying Pan (British and American style breakfast) in Wan Chai and Central.

Mentioned in this post
Mongkok
Mongkok
2,994 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Fa Yuen Street
Fa Yuen Street
205 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Ladies Market
Ladies Market
2,659 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Dragon Hostel
Dragon Hostel
402 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
The Flying Pan
The Flying Pan
299 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
brisbane , Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap shoppings. Cheap eats. Budget travel :)

Hi I will be in Hongkong in August ,am looking for good handbags or copies , shoes to fit size 8 wide ,and size 18 clothes .Any suggestions as I dont want to waste time looking at skinny minny clothes . .Any help greatly appreciated

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
22,608 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap shoppings. Cheap eats. Budget travel :)

You are going to have trouble finding size 18 clothes, sorry.

Singapore
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap shoppings. Cheap eats. Budget travel :)

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for replying to my post.

Fa Yuen Street sounds like a good area for me. Though I would love to shop in Ladies Street and Temple Street but what I read on the net sounds quite scary. A young girl got hurt because of walking away from a stall at Ladies Street because of language barrier. She ran and called for help but no one even bothers?? Others said they got shamed for walking away from the stalls?? Ermm that kinda scares me right now. I might go have a look-see (but I won't go near any stalls for sure). Any survivor tips from any of u guys in case any of such happens to me (touchwood!!!) LOL

The other thing, I would love to try HK food! Not interested in Mac Donald's and such. Any cheap and good HK eats?? Wanton noodles, hot pots and roasted meats all I know about HK food for now. Where can I get yummy ones and any other yummies? Also, what do u guys eat for breakfast?

Thanks so much for replying again!

xoxoxo :))

Mentioned in this post
Fa Yuen Street
Fa Yuen Street
205 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
22,608 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap shoppings. Cheap eats. Budget travel :)

I don't know where you read these. Don't trust everything you read on the internet (well, except TA, where everything is true). Shamed for walking away? I guess you have to have a thick skin. I just wave my arm and walk away, there is no shame in that.

There are a couple of well known won ton noodle place. Dim sum is another possibility. Maybe even try looking into the Michelin Guide.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18,935 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap shoppings. Cheap eats. Budget travel :)

No 24 hour shops. Most shops close at 9 pm to 11 pm, depending on types and areas. Open at 9 am to 11 am, again depending on types and areas.

24 hour food, however, there are a few. They are around the Mongkok - Jordan area (Kowloon), and Wan Chai area (Hong Kong Island). Wonton noodle stuff, Cantonese entres, congee (rice portridge), Chiu Chow style "Da Lung" dishes... along with the fast-food types e.g. MacDonald's and Cafe De Coral.

Mentioned in this post
Mongkok
Mongkok
2,994 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
The Kowloon Hotel
The Kowloon Hotel
1,815 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Wan Chai
Wan Chai
524 Reviews