We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the tap water in HK/Macau safe for drinking?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
884 posts
34 reviews
27 helpful votes
Is the tap water in HK/Macau safe for drinking?

Hi,

Please advise if the tap water in HK/Macau is safe for drinking?

Thanks!

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
8,167 posts
36 reviews
45 helpful votes
1. Re: Is the tap water in HK/Macau safe for drinking?

Please do a search for tap water on this forum, which has been discussed - at length - multiple times before.

For Macau, you should post on that forum.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka, Tokyo
Level Contributor
80,917 posts
183 reviews
192 helpful votes
2. Re: Is the tap water in HK/Macau safe for drinking?

A related discussion can be found here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294217-i1496-k4610839-l34398816-Is_it_usual_to_be_charged_for_water_in_HK_hotel_rooms-Hong_Kong.html

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
25 reviews
28 helpful votes
3. Re: Is the tap water in HK/Macau safe for drinking?

Like most places - yes if you are local, if not well ... I've never got ill in hk and i drink the tap water in hotels. So i think hk is safe. If unsure- just drink bottled water- i do not drink ro ( reverse osmosis) water. I know a guy in the game....not that its not safe- just some other issues- particularly relating to children well known in the industry.

He wont give it to his kids...

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
228 posts
48 reviews
35 helpful votes
4. Re: Is the tap water in HK/Macau safe for drinking?

No local residents drink tap water straight from the tap. We drink tap water that's been boiled then cooled down. But we do brush our teeth with tap water.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka, Tokyo
Level Contributor
80,917 posts
183 reviews
192 helpful votes
5. Re: Is the tap water in HK/Macau safe for drinking?

The reverse osmosis water (distilled water) is theoretically not good for you due to PH balance and some other technical reasons. You can buy mineral water from the stores if you want. But as mentioned, locals just boil the tap water, let it cool down, and drink it.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
32,666 posts
12,485 reviews
27,250 helpful votes
6. Re: Is the tap water in HK/Macau safe for drinking?

We boil before drinking as well. If you are at a hotel, you will probably have a kettle for making tea/coffee and a couple of water bottles in your room. Just use accordingly.

However, if you are staying at a higher end hotel, its probably fine to drink from the tap. We've had lots of guests (friends and family) do this for years, none have ever had problems (to our knowledge, that is).

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
204 reviews
134 helpful votes
7. Re: Is the tap water in HK/Macau safe for drinking?

The water in HK's public water supply is completely potable when it leaves the treatment plant. Some buildings, however, have old pipes, or even open-air tanks on the roof (into which birds and other things might fall). BradJill makes a good point about higher-end hotels which presumably have modern pipes and tanks, so the water is likely to be fine.

As for me, at home I boil the water most of the time, but I regularly drink from public fountains (e.g. at the gym, the airport, etc.) which I assume are serving up straight tap water. Have never had a problem from HK's water. (Got a hulluva case of food poisoning one time from chicken at Park N Shop, but that's another story......)

8. Re: Is the tap water in HK/Macau safe for drinking?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.