We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breakfast - Dim Sum?

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aberdeenshire...
Level Contributor
44 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Breakfast - Dim Sum?

While in Hong Kong I will be like most tourists and try proper Dim Sum.

Since I've read it is also eaten at breakfast can anyone recommend the best places.

We are staying in Causeway Bay but will be going to Kowloon, Repulse bay, Lantu etc sightseeing are not limited to our hotels area.

Regards

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,258 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Breakfast - Dim Sum?

I may be wrong but IMO it's a lunch thing, starts about 11.00 am. No reason why you can't call it breakfast if you want. Chinese breakfast is often noodles/soup or porridge (rice).

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,821 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Breakfast - Dim Sum?

Yes it's definitely served as both breakfast and lunch. You may want to try an old time favorite: Luk Yu in Central. Go early, I think they still have customers who bring their song birds. Service may be a little gruff, but it's been there a long long time.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
700 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breakfast - Dim Sum?

Dim sum is definitely eaten as breakfast and is very popular for local families to eat together in restaurants during weekends. Some restaurants start service at around 7am for the early diners.

There are a number of Chinese restaurants serving dim sum breakfast in Causeway Bay, like the JP Plaza and Windsor House. Luk Yu is good too, and also Lin Heung in Central. The latter is very much advertised in tourist guides for its dim sum, decor and atmosphere.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,447 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Breakfast - Dim Sum?

Most restaurants serve dim sum at lunch through afternoon tea time. Not all are open for breakfast. At Causeway Bay, there are many many choices from breakfast to tea for sure.

I have to disagree that Luk Yu serves good dim sum. In fact, it serves terrible dim sum. It has a good old-school atmosphere though so it could be worth the trip. The dinner food is actually better.

Singapore
Level Contributor
208 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Breakfast - Dim Sum?

It's always been a wonder to me why Lin Heung is so recommended. I had quite an unpleasant experience there where we had to rush to the dim sum cart to grab our food whenever a cart comes out of the kitchen. Otherwise, we don't get anything. Ahh, even more stressful than going to Tim Ho Wan, haha.

For cheap and decent dim sum, I always go to Tao Heung at Grand Tower, Mong Kok. The building is located just opposite Langham Place Mall, if you want to have your dim sum fix in Kowloon instead of in HK Island. :)

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
15,769 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Breakfast - Dim Sum?

>> It's always been a wonder to me why Lin Heung is so recommended.

I may have a partial explanation for that. In the USA, I have seen at least 3 travel-food related TV programs featuring Hong Kong and they visited Lin Heung. (May be as much as visiting the guy kneading noodles on a thick bamboo stick in Tai Po or throwing your wishing-well prayer up on the tree at Lam Tsuen. They seem to be more more "TV worthy", more "dramatic" than other places. Maybe these program producers are fed off by the same organization.

I think they feature Lin Heung because it is one of the very few remaining dim sum restaurants which still does things the old fashioned way. It is what dim sum dining USED TO BE 30 - 40 years ago. Certainly by and large not the way it is today. Things had improved quite a bit over the decades.

I don't like Lin Heung at all because of reasons cited before:

- Crowded, with both locals and tourists

- Sanitary concerns

- Need to rub elbows with other eaters to fight to grab your dim sum

- Sharing tables with multiple parties

- Really noisy in tight enclosure

Well... they had seen the restaurant and the environment on TV. That's the experience they seek after.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,075 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Breakfast - Dim Sum?

Lin Heung and Luk Yu are just the most terrible place for dim sum and service. I do not advise anyone to go UNLESS you are a daily customer ...maybe you get better service and food.

I recommend anyone who wants to experience traditional dim sum that is decent, Tao Heung, Ho Choi group, or Maxims will be ok.

For more luxurious experience and service, any of the five star hotel (except Sheraton) chinese restaurant is going to be good.

My personal favs: Fu Ho, Dynasty, Lei Garden.

www.openrice.com will give you informative reviews and rankings.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Breakfast - Dim Sum?

This discussion is turning into one like finding the best pizza in New York or Buenos Aires OR the best empanadas in Argentina!!!!

What fun though.!!!

Philadephia,PA,USA
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Breakfast - Dim Sum?

I was just in HK for a day and happened upon Lin Heung. I am not an expert on Cantonese food, but almost everything that I had was good after a lower than expectations dinner at Yung Kee. Also, I was basically the only tourist in there, though perhaps some of the people were from the mainland. It is very crowded and service is basically nonexistent, but is definitely a fun and worthwhile place to share a meal.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
15,769 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Breakfast - Dim Sum?

> My personal favs: Fu Ho, Dynasty, Lei Garden.

Kate: Have you tried Golden Bauhinia Restaurant inside the Hong Kong Convention Centre for yum cha? I was going to try it last time but ran out of time during my stay. Wondering what you think of their dim sum.