We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mooncake

Ho Chi Minh
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mooncake

Where is good to buy moon cake in HK?

We have it back in our hometown, so want to get a good quality moon cake in HK. any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Komune
££ - £££, European, Asian, South American
Le Pain Quotidien Elements
££ - £££, Cafe, European, French
Asia
Level Contributor
902 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mooncake

You can't go wrong with homegrown Hong Kong brands such as 'Wing Wah', 'Kei Wah', Maxims and St Honore. However, some varieties of St Honore's mooncakes such as the snow skin variety are made in PRC, so do look out for 'Made in Hong Kong' on the product label before you buy.

Mentioned in this post
Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,226 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mooncake

Kee Wah and Wing Wah are both good.

Mentioned in this post
Wing Wah
Wing Wah
54 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,143 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mooncake

I personally like Peninsula's and Langham place's mini custard ones as opposed to the traditional ones, they are less fattening, less sweet, and mini in size. They are super delicious. Can't stop once I start. Although I think cholesterol wise isnt going to be much better. Recent years, many hotels come out with healthier yet still yummy alternatives like less sweet, less fat, added ingredients like nuts, grains, red bean, ...and vegetarians.

ice cream mooncaked have become quite popular with the younger generation.

Traditional ones, I think Maxim's would be best.

Edited: 01 August 2011, 14:55
Mentioned in this post
The Langham, Hong Kong
The Langham, Hong Kong
1,940 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mooncake

@NKT-TEP, any chance in Saigon they have mooncake in coffee flavour?

Just love Trung Nguyen

I have a forwarding agent in Saigon and last year, he gave me two boxes from New World hotel- it was okay and I really appreciate his gestures because the

presentation box is really lovely and to carry it on a flight do require effort on one's part

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,143 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mooncake

Word of warning: dont buy the "ice skin" ones....every year, I know someone who get sick from them. I was told by my doctor, because these ones are not baked, all just made and freeze, depending how they handled it, and the process hygiene....it is easy to get food poisoned by these.

Ho Chi Minh
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Mooncake

Thanks for your answers.

@mKiaratravel: I have never noticed any coffee mooncake but there should be as we just love coffee :)

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mooncake

Wing Wah, Kee Wah and Hang Heung are all old brand names for this traditional Chinese treat. They have outlets around the city. Locations check:

Wing Wah:

www.wingwah.com/wingwah//pp/WingWah.asp

Kee Wah:

http://en.keewah.com/stores/hong-kong/

Hang Heung:

onlyabox.com/2009/…

Edited: 02 August 2011, 00:47
Mentioned in this post
Wing Wah
Wing Wah
54 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Hang Heung
Hang Heung
114 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,855 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mooncake

I think the "ice-skin" (snowy) mooncakes are ok, as long as they are kept refrigerated and eaten a short time after purchase. The cake shops provide special insulator bags to keep the mooncakes cold on your way home. Personally, I like Taipan's green bean flavor the most.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mooncake

Am not a mooncake fan, but I will second the Peninsula's mooncake - everyone I have given it to says it is the best they have had.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
58,452 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mooncake

Peninsula's mooncake isn't really the traditional kind but it is quite tasty.

For the traditional ones, Maxim's probably sells the most locally due to heavy marketing. I generally eat none to perhaps just one bite per year as it's really heavy. Most of the other traditional Chinese ones mentioned already should be good as well.