We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay!

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Misgav
Level Contributor
155 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay!

We are a mature (politically correct synonym for over-the hill, ancient, decrepit, etc.) couple who will be breaking our trip from Europe to New Zealand with a day and a half in Hong Kong. Not planning any serious sightseeing as we will trying to adjust our biological clocks and regain a lost night's sleep. I know that public transport in Hong Kong is very good, but am looking for an area that is walking distance to shopping and easy access to eating places. Sorry, but not interested in the night life!

Which area should I look at?

As our flight will be leaving late in the evening, can anyone recommend hotels that have a flexible checkout time - looking for something with 6pm (or even later!) checkout time.

Thanks in advance!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,088 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay!

Either Tsim Sha Tsui or Causeway Bay would be what you are looking for. These two areas have many hotels to choose from. Mongkok is also a very busy and "local" area, but the only hotel I can think of is Langham Place in the area.

Hotel that will give you a late checkout in HK?

None. You can pay, but early check in is possible, check out at 6 pm, I think not.

But.....you can always try to ask your hotel....it doesnt hurt to try to ask.

Australia
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay!

I agree with Katetam - If shopping is your thing, you will find Causeway Bay on HK Island and Tsim Sha Tsui on Kowloon to be shopping havens - Shops, shops, and more shops everywhere! Whether you stay on Kowloon or HK Island is a personal thing - I prefer HK Island, but, I'm aware lots of tourists stay on Kowloon. Just be aware that shops (depending which ones you're going to) don't generally open early, so, anticipate that most will open at 10am/11am (although, some do open at 9am).

Some hotels might offer a half-day rate, so, I'd definitely ask.

Good luck with your planning and have a GREAT time in HK! :)

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,345 posts
5,580 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay!

If you don't mind a bit of a hostel/guesthouse accommodation than another good option in Mongkok is the Dragon Hostel. It is right across the street from where the very fun Ladies (night) market starts in Mongkok.

Here is a Mongkok 1/2 day travel list if you are interested in street side walking/shopping experience.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i24685-Mongkok_…

Have a nice stop over in HK.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay!

@young-fellow, taking the cue from @Katetam, though take away the essence of crowd ,and the love of Mongkok area by @BradJill, a stay in Langham Place in fact could be just fine,as you are thinking of adjusting your biological clock--Langham Place has a good array of pillows(yep,they even have a pillow menu) to give you the ultimate bedding comfort.

Then again, once you see the vibes of this place and HK, maybe you might just change your mind about regaining a lost night's sleep.

In the event, that a late check out requires a day room rate,of which you may not want,and this is basically for your luggage purpose; depending on the airline that you are flying back to NZ, you can do a overnight check in or same day check in at the downtown AEL station-either at HK or Kowloon station,then leaving you off the weight of your luggage, and knowing with a group ticket on the AEL to HKIA in under 30minutes,and having done your check in and obtain your boarding pass; you can then plan a more time effective plan in HK city.

When the body is in motion, the mind sets to motion,and you will be more energised.

have a pleasant stop over in HK,and an enjoyable holiday in Europe.

6. Re: Where to stay!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2011, 13:52
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,345 posts
5,580 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay!

@txdbog >>> LKF does have a lot of night life <<<

Unfortunately LKF is under heavy construction at the moment, making it a bit of an eye sore and much less enjoyable. Not sure when this will be finished up. At present, Soho is better consideration for night life. TST isn't a bad option for nightlife, Knutsford Terrace can be quite fun.

@mKiara,

If the pillows don't do the trick at Langham Place, the upstairs lounge bar, above the lobby, should do. Its a favorite of mine in the Mongkok area. Very nice spot to unwind after a hard days work.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay!

OP not interested in night life

9. Re: Where to stay!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 02:18