We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dim Sum

Oslo
Level Contributor
449 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Dim Sum

I know, there is a looong thread about it. I've tried to read it, but gave up after about 25 posts. My question is pretty straight forward: I want to go to a place that has delicious dim sum and fullfills all the following criteria:

- no dim sum cart but table service

- english menu

- does not have to share the table with strangers

- no queue to get in (preferably somewhere I can reserve a table)

- dinner service

- in Central area

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17,335 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dim Sum

>> - dinner service

All restaurants that I know of do not serve dim sum for dinner. Tradition has it dim sum is a breakfast/lunch thing.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,015 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dim Sum

Every requirement you mentioned can be easily met except dim sum is served from breakfast to afternoon tea time at 99% of the restaurants.

If you don't mind going over to Kowloon, the newly open Dim Sum Bar (run by Cafe Deco Group) at the ground floor of Gateway Arcade at Harbour City, Canton Road serves decent dim sum all day in a comfortable environment.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,660 posts
5,745 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dim Sum

I think it might be easier to find Norwegian cuisine for dinner!

jo-dr - stick to breakfast/lunch, you'll surely have some nice dim sum experiences in HK!

If the discussion threads are too difficult to follow, you can have a look at

www.openrice.com

browse under dim sum and see what comes up that suits your fancy. Very good dim sum, table service can be found in most places in Hong Kong.

Oslo
Level Contributor
449 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dim Sum

Haha, it'd be difficult to find Norwegian cuisine even in Norway, it's so bad people don't eat it of their own free will.

Doesn't Maxim's serve dim sum for dinner? They're open till 23:00, what do they serve at night? I don't really like to eat warm dishes to lunch, I'm too tired and full afterwards, prefer a small sandwich or a fruit, and a good dinner...

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,015 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dim Sum

Dim sums are most popular as a late breakfast or lunch meal, with some afternoon tea patrons. By dinner, restaurants such as Maxim's serve actual dishes (seafood, stir-frys, etc, which are also available at lunch).

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,224 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dim Sum

In Cantonese restaurants, dinner dishes are more elaborate. You can find soups, meat and poultry dishes, seafood, and vegetables, and they can be steamed, fried, braised... There is a LOT of variety to Cantonese cuisine, let alone the whole of Chinese cuisine. But dim sum is a breakfast / lunch thing, it's just tradition. There are odd places that serve dim sum for dinner, but I don't know of them. You can do a search on Hong Kong's premier food website: openrice.com.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,461 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dim Sum

Dim Sum (actual restaurant name) at Happy Valley is a popular all-day Dim Sum restaurant;

hiphongkong.com/eat/…dim_sum_happy_valley

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17,335 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dim Sum

I am sure there are restaurants that offer dim sum for dinner. But not many restaurants do that. And out of those, how many would:

- no dim sum cart but table service

- english menu

- does not have to share the table with strangers

- no queue to get in (preferably somewhere I can reserve a table)

- in Central area

Especially in the Central area, which is a white-collar worker district. At night it is quiet. Not likely to find dim sum at night.

Edited: 30 August 2011, 22:36
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,015 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dim Sum

The important thing is not to limit yourself to Central. Using the excellent transport system, you can be at many other areas of HK for dining within 20 minutes. Even taxis don't cost that much by Western standards.

Chiangmai Thailand
Level Contributor
119 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dim Sum

Hello, I am looking for good dim sum in TST area. I will be stay at BP international. Thanks