We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit card do i need to show?

Petaling Jaya...
1 post
Save Topic
Credit card do i need to show?

Hi , i had pay a hotel via online credit card, do i still need to show them my Credit card ID? as the credit card is from my parents.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,339 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit card do i need to show?

If it is paid for then no need. You will probably be asked for a credit card (any card) to secure your deposit.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,225 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit card do i need to show?

Actually depends on the T&C of your online booking website... a lot of popular sites reserve the rights to have hotels checking on the credit card used for the payment to avoid fraudury... I know at least Expedia & Agoda have that on their T&C.

It is less common if you book directly with the hotel via their own online website.

Worst come to worst, you could have your parents send in an authorization letter and credit card copy to clarify

Australia
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit card do i need to show?

I don't think I've ever come across a hotel that didn't want to see my credit card, so, they could get an imprint of it. Seeing as I normally turn up at the hotel with the same credit card I used to book and pay for the room, I've had no issues, but, as onelightyear says, it comes down to the terms and conditions. Definitely double-check those, as you certainly don't want to be denied a room (or only get your hotel room after a big delay) because of an issue with a credit card.

As onelightyear said, have an authorisation letter and copies of the credit card, if need be. We had to do this one time when a family member's credit card didn't work (and didn't have another one), so, the hotel had them get a family member to send through an authorisation letter and photocopy of the credit card, which was faxed through. That was perfectly fine, and all went well.

Good luck with your planning and have a GREAT time in HK! :)

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Credit card do i need to show?

It is highly likely that you will need to show your credit card since the hotel will want to take a swipe of the card in case of anything that you may want to charge to the room.

I don't know how old you are, but some hotels will not allow an unaccompanied minor to occupy a room. A minor, in this instance is someone under the age of 18. If you fall into this category, you may want to check with your hotel, what their policy is on this

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,339 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Credit card do i need to show?

Yes, they will ask for a credit card but it does not have to be the same as the one used to book the prepaid room. You will have to show your passport and presumably the room is in your name.

I have booked prepaid rooms for others before and this was not a problem. But I never use Expedia.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Credit card do i need to show?

Hmm, Kevin McCallister check in to Trump Plaza hotel on his parents credit card.

Anyway, the hotel when you checked in will ask for a security payment for incidentals--so you can use a credit card,but not necessary your parents---hey, time to "fool" papa--hey that hotel say when I check in need your credit card for verification, so can you please now get me a supplementary card before my HK trip- I will only use it for emergency--well, an emergency is when you see a Louis Vuitton bag, at 50% clearance sales--out comes the card.

And you find papa's favourite brand of things he uses is 20-30% cheaper than in KL.

Vancouver, Wn.
Level Contributor
427 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Credit card do i need to show?

On a recent airplane ticket I booked for my girlfriend over the internet they stated that if the credit card holder was not flying they wanted a print copy of the credit card and a print of the passport of the person whos credit card was being used.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Credit card do i need to show?

That is a slightly different situation Beachlover. The reason the airline made that ruling was due to security issues

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,225 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Credit card do i need to show?

Yes, most hotel needs 'A' (as in any) credit card to guarantee a room for at least incidental charge. And you could simply pay a cash deposit if you don't have any credit card.

I guess what the OP is asking is that if you are BOOKED a room with a credit card do you need to show that particular credit card upon check in... hence my answer above - 'depends on the T&C of your online booking website...'

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,663 posts
5,747 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Credit card do i need to show?

Just call the hotel and find out. Seems a quick enough way to confirm.