We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stopover in Hong Kong

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
leicestershire uk
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Topic
Stopover in Hong Kong

Doing a 3 night stopover in Hong Kong on the way back from NZ in March 2012. Looking for a hotel with double room for about £150-£200 for the 3 nights. Any recommendations? Been looking at all the reviews and getting overwhelmed. They all seem very expensive.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
4,917 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stopover in Hong Kong

'... they all seem very expensive...'

So you have checked the price? I guess you are stopping over in HK during the HK 7s (rubgy) at the end of March then. I'm afraid you options might be limited if your budget is £150-£200 for the whole 3 nights (which means HK$650 - HK$850 per night). You could try:

YWCA Anne Black Guest House

- a simple 2 stars hotel in Mongkok about 15 mins walk to MTR station. Clean and basic

Hotel M

- New hotel in Yau Ma Tei, very basic as well but very close to MTR station (about 2 minutes walk) and right next to the temple street market

Hotel MK

- New hotel in Yau Ma Tei / Mongkok, not to be confused with the one above. Similar priced though. Slightly more convenient yet less desirablel location as it's in the middle of the defacto redlight district that is Portland Street. (on the side note, the ladies of the night is actually a legitimate /legal profession in HK!!)

Silka Seaview

- in Yau Ma Tei, it was called the Dorsett Seaview in the past. recently rebranded and renovated. small rooms and low ceiling

Ibis

- in North Point on Hong Kong Island. I know you said kowloon but this is after all an International brand (Accor Hotels) and very rare a hotel this category in HK with a full harbour view. North point is a residential area but it's close to MTR (about 5 minutes walk) and right in front of a Star Ferry Pier

leicestershire uk
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Stopover in Hong Kong

Thanks onelightyear. Kowloon is ok. We are coming 6-9 march so not when rugby is on.

6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Stopover in Hong Kong

Cosmo hotel in Wan chai is offering a double room for the dates in march for £215 on hotels.com or hotel ibis for £173

http://www.hotels.com/mobile/hotelDetails.html?pa=3&pn=1&ps=3&tab=description&destinationId=606379&hotelId=195819&arrivalDate=06-03-2012&departureDate=09-03-2012&rooms[0].numberOfAdults=2&roomno=1&validate=false&previousDateful=false&reviewOrder=date_newest_first

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
4,917 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stopover in Hong Kong

Then it's should be ok if you select hotels with half a notch better

Metropark Mongkok - 3 stars in Mongkok, 5 mins away from Prince Edward MTR station / flower market / birds garden. Rooms are a bit dated

Novotel Nathan Road - in Jordan, across the road from MTR and in front of the Temple Street Market. International brand (accor hotels). check with their web site for the best rate guarantee

Shamrock Hotel - in Jordan, less than 5 minutes walk to MTR and 15 - 20 minutes walk to down town TST. newly renovated

Eaton Smart - might be a bit out of your budget but it's a 4 stars hotel. but do check if they are doing any promotions. In jordan, about 10 min walk to MTR and temple street market

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,144 posts
5,402 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stopover in Hong Kong

pammy14

Do you require a nicer hotel or are you ok with guesthouses? There is a nice hostel/guesthouse in Mongkok that is often recommended - Dragon Hostel that has rooms, some private, for HKD250-500 a night that can save you a fortune.

leicestershire uk
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Stopover in Hong Kong

Head now spinning! Have narowed it down to 2, Ibis and Metropark Mongkok. Both good price but completely different areas.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,750 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stopover in Hong Kong

Metropark MK should beat Ibis easily.

leicestershire uk
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Stopover in Hong Kong

Sammyfloyd, do you mean price or quality?

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
15,924 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stopover in Hong Kong

>> Ibis - in North Point on Hong Kong Island. ..... it's close to MTR (about 5 minutes walk) and right in front of a Star Ferry Pier

FYI onelightyear... that is not a Star Ferry Pier at North Point. It's the First Ferry (formerly belonged to Yau Ma Tei Ferry). Star Ferry only serves Central + Wan Chai to Tsim Sha Tsui now. (Plus the harbour cruise.)

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
4,917 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stopover in Hong Kong

Thanks Happyfeet1234.

Anyway, pammy14, I think sammyfloyd referred to the service / facilities level...

While the Ibis is clean, hip and professional, they ARE after all an Ibis. No restaurant (just a cafeteria), no mini bar (well who need them anyway) and no business centre (like all accor hotels they have an apple terminal to be used at the lobby). The rooms are extremely small (about 3/4 size as in Metropark Mongkok) and they don't even have a proper desk (just a 1' by 2' panel by the window). The TV is just a small flat screen hanging on the wall at the SIDE of the bed. If it's not an international brand, I'd say it's just a motel or guest house at best.

Having said that, I would still choose the Ibis myself because I love the fact that a full harbour view can be seen in this level of hotel

The metropark mongkok on the other hand is a proper 'Hotel' eventhough it's just a 3 stars one. Also, as I said, it's a bit worn and dated