We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Part 2

Thiruvananthapuram...
Level Contributor
192 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Part 2

Hi all,

Thanks for all the goody goody remarks for the Trip Report -Part 1.Hope this Part -2 also lives up to your expectations.. For anyone who wants to look up Part -1 ,pls click on the link below

tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g294217-i1496-k4914…

City tour.

Everyone goes for a city tour and like all other cities, HK also has several options. You can opt for a half day city tour which all hotels will arrange and you will be pushed into a a/c bus and it will take you to some of the major hotspots where u have a 15 minute time for a photo ops session,seeing around and then back on to the bus ..Or u can take a private tour in your own vehicle .A Merc van will take you to the city hotspots. The driver will be all courteous...there will be water bottles inside the car...There are walking tours also which is good...but there is a limit to walking and while you can completely see the area , it is going to be a small circle which you can cover unless of course you are a real walker ..I’ve gone through this all and all of the above have their good points also but we now have given up all these for the Hop on Hop Off Open Bus top tour...The advantages are you are on top of a double decker and a open one at that which takes you around the city and has 2-3 fixed routes .There are buses coming every 30 minutes on the same route. Each route would have some 15-20 stops and you can get off and see to your heart’s content and take the next bus which comes after 30 minutes or if you really want more time in that particular location then the bus after that ..Generally they have a one day Pass which entails the holder to hop on and off for the whole day for a fixed charge. What we do is go first time throughout the whole route covering all stops and come back to the starting point again. By that time we would have an overall look around the route and would have some idea on which stops to get off and have a look around .Then we go the same route again in the same bus and do the Hop on hop off route wherever we want...In one day we could cover the complete HK island and that too to our timings..

HK has 2 major bus companies operating .One is Big Bus Company and the other is Rickshaw sightseeing bus. Big Bus has signs everywhere .They operate on a higher radius but their charge is HK $ 320. We decided on the second operator which was Rickshaw Sightseeing Bus (mind you this is no rickshaw, it is also a double Decker) who had 2 routes...Heritage and Metropolis which basically covers only HK Island and not Kowloon. But they cover complete HK Island and that is a big area. Their one day pass came to just HKD 50 per adult and for a child it was HKD 25. Which meant 3 of us from morning to evening covered entire HK Island at HK $ 125 (from 10 AM to 6:45 PM). U can see their entire routes in the link below... We boarded the bus at Star Ferry and took the unlimited day pass inside the bus itself. Understand that you can board the bus at any point and take the unlimited day pass then there...All I can say is it’s a great way to discover HK city...and if you want to view the amazing skyscrapers there is no better way than a Open double Decker ...

http://www.rickshawbus.com/en/home/index.html

Temple Street Night Market

WE were lucky that since we were staying in Jordan , the night market was a street away .anybody in HK can tell u about reaching there . It’s basically a night market which starts at around 6 pm and is on till 11pm or so .. T-shirts, knick knacks, keychains, children wear ,souvernir items etc which are normally found in most of the night markets in Thailand are available here also. Most of the shops have the same items which means if you see a item which the shop owner tells you is HKD 100 ..you can ask for this at HKD 40 and if the shop owner tells you to get lost ..you just go the next shop and ask the same item for HKD 45 and if the response is same there also ,go to the next one and quote HKD 50 .At some point you will get the same goods at the lowest bargains ..The market extends across the huge entrance ( there is a big entrance welcoming you to temple street ) Most people start from there but you can just follow the line of shops across the roads opposite which I found sells toys and stuff of a different kind ( u know what I mean ) and then some jade goods after that..At the other end of the temple street market is the food courts which are basically on the street..We tried once but was put off to the waste food also lying all round and smells ..Food is ok and you get the authentic Chinese food which is why the area is fully crowded

That’s all for Trip Report -2 and lemme cram whatever I have forgotten to put in the first 2 reports into Trip report -3 which includes Ocean Park and Ladies market in Mong kok.. and the most wonderful Gold fish market which was good ..ie if you like ornamental fish..

Regds

Harri

Perth
Level Contributor
740 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Part 2

Yippee, your second report. Thanks it is great too.

We have been avoiding the city bus tours and hop-on hop-off buses but the Rickshaw bus sounds like a good deal, it is a pity they don't do the main island (Kowloon). You made a good find.

We have only been on the one tour in Hong Kong and it was from our Hotel in Hung Hom to Ocean Park, it was a two for one deal and we found it much easier than trying to work out the public transport getting there and back but I'm sure you'll cover that in your next report.

I'd love to know how much you liked Hong Kong and if you plan on returning?

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Part 2

Thanks a great read with loads of info, looking forward to part 3.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
536 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Part 2

thanks for a great trip report, I have saved your Part 1 and also Part 2, and look forward to Part 3, we are taking our two boys to Hong Kong next year and your reports are a great help.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Part 2

Harrikris, sorry if this is a silly question but do you catch the Double Decker bus from Kowloon side at Star Ferry or does your trip start on Hong Kong side. Any places on your route that you highly recommend? Have really enjoyed your trip report, thank you

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Part 2

Thank you for your 2nd Trip Report, Harri. Once again, very informative. Looking forward to Report No. 3.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
26 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Part 2

Harri thanks. I am getting loads of ideas for my honeymoon next month and enjoying reading about your trip.

Looking forward to Part 3

Thiruvananthapuram...
Level Contributor
192 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Part 2

Hi PegususPerth,

I liked HK a lot ..Initially the first 2 day it rushes you off your feet but once u find the rhythm of the city ,then it's an amazing experience..I really want to return back next month..some of the nicest moments was sitting on the Tsim sha sui pier in the evening and watching dusk creep in and the lights on that amazing skyline opposite slowly working it's way to full glory..

Hi Sdjh,

It's the HK side ..Unfortunately the Rickshaw bus does not come into kowloon.. and the Heritage route was much more better..We got off almost every 2nd stop and wandered around or even walked up to the next stop also ..

regds

Harri

8. Re: Trip Report - Part 2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2012, 05:18