We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In HK - Hotel has MAJOR construction work, advice needed

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
In HK - Hotel has MAJOR construction work, advice needed

Hi,

I wondered if anyone could advise. I am in Hong Kong, 2 days into a 15 day stay. I researched hotel thoroughly and paid £2500 for hotel through a booking agent in UK. Upon reading the contract the agent has no liability for booking, my contract is with the hotel.

I have arrived to what I thought was a quiet hotel (not one review in TA to indicate any noise issues) to find major construction work on 2 sides of hotel, starting at 7am to nearly 7pm. As I am disabled I require lots of rest in the hotel room to be able to function normally for the few hours which I am able to go out.

Yesterday I was driven mad by the content drilling (massive drill 50ft tall - I think they are preparing foundations) and banging of lots of large metal pieces on the 'working dock'. It is non stop and quite disturbing, never mind just inconvenient. I am unable to sit in the room between these hours, it is unbearable. The luxury pool, which was planned a a major part of my stay is a complete no go. It is right next to the construction work.

I knew there was a major road outside and assumed this would be the only noise, as you can get used to the 'hum' of the traffic, however in this location I feel as though I am in a dock yard with the number of major pieces of metal banging, reversing lorries and this contestant hum, piercing noise of the drill.

I booked flights separately, 2 x £1100 and hotel @£2400 - approx $HKD52,000.

My question is, does anyone know if I have any rights here in Hong Kong to any kind of refund or compensation. This major construction work has not been communicated to me at all, the hotel do not seem to think it would be of a concern to any of its guests.

I appreciate most people get up and go out to see Hong Kong but I do need to be able to rest in my room, and I would expect that to be quiet considering the price I have paid (hotel approx $HKD 27,000).

I have spoken to the hotel, and they have agreed to move me to an inferior room, i.e. much smaller, no decent harbour view but without compensation or refund. Even in this room there will be quite a reasonable amount of disturbance, not the serenity I thought I was getting.

They have a sister hotel, which is in a quiet location, and we wondered if we had any rights to request moving to that hotel? Being a UK resident I do not understand if there are any consumer laws here in HK which would mean the hotel should provide compensation or an alternative. As it is, the hotel was fully booked last night so I had to remain in noisy room, to be woken early and I have to lose a 2nd day of my holiday to ensure I am moved today. (I daren't go out incase they give the room to somebody else!).

I have been unable to unpack, and don't really want to move rooms, stay there overnight and be disturbed again by noise, if I am able to go to the quiet sister hotel and just relax from the 1st day there. The additional problem here is that I have paid a supplement for the views at this hotel and the sister hotel is more expensive, which could cause an issue.

Any advice would be grateful.

Thanks

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,081 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In HK - Hotel has MAJOR construction work, advice needed

I feel so bad for you! It must be so frustrating and disappointing. You didnt say where it is, but I am having a good guess.

"rights"- in this case, no. you dont have any legal ground. The hotel is providing its service, room, amenities, safety, and all that is expected in the "contractl.

However, any reputable hotel in hk, especially the "chained" ones, will care about the satisfaction of their guests. So, what I suggest you to do is request to see the general manager. Don't bother talking to reception, they won't help you much. Talk to the GM, and say what you did in this post, with luck, you might be able to find a solution more satisfactory for the rest of your stay.

please do come back in here to update us. I would be interested.

Good Luck.

Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In HK - Hotel has MAJOR construction work, advice needed

Hi,

Thank you for the quick reply. I thought that may be the case,that the 'contract' has provided the services as obliged to.

I am hanging around for the time being, to ensure I get the room move. After the move then I think I will speak to the general manager as you have advised. At the moment I am just so tired, I need to sleep and I am unable to hold a decent conversation. I will speak with the mgr tomorrow after the room move.

When I first spoke to reception yesterday I wasn't taken seriously, but after a few more hours of trying to rest and in despair, I spoke to the guest services manager - who has kindly offered to move me today. It was this manager who advised no refund etc. I understand that a refund is not the normal process but I would expect some kind of compensation offered to make up for both the Inconvenience and financial loss.

I will post updates and once again thank you for the advice.

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In HK - Hotel has MAJOR construction work, advice needed

Kate's advice is very sound. It's always an advantage to go right to the top, as is quite possible no one else has the authority to do anything. Consumer protection in Hong Kong is not good, but I can't think of too many other places where you could automatically be refunded/shifted because of building noise from outside. Been there done that, not much fun I know. If you get no joy from the general manager, I would try to get in touch with head office of the chain wherever it is – assuming it is a chain. Even if you have to spend a few bob on phone calls. If nothing else you might get some satisfaction after you've gone home :-).

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,263 posts
5,504 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In HK - Hotel has MAJOR construction work, advice needed

I'm not sure what rights you would have here in HK for Hotel situation such as the one you find yourself in. We have similar situations (not in HK), both with a pool (highly advertised) not being available at the time we stayed and with loads construction noise being nearby, making it difficult to be in our room. Its not nice but what is important is to try to not let it ruin your holiday.

Things like this happen, construction is a part of life, unfortunately its happening near you at the time of your stay. And it doesn't help that HK is a very noisy city in the first place. My only advise would be to try to get out and enjoy what HK has to offer and not let the hotel situation preoccupy too much of your time or ruin your entire holiday.

Hong Kong, itself, is a great city with much on offer for you to do/see. I do hope you can enjoy yourself while here and hopefully the construction work will quite down shortly, allowing you to rest better during the majority of your time.

Best of luck

Perth
Level Contributor
740 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In HK - Hotel has MAJOR construction work, advice needed

You may have already done so but have a close look at your room contract, in particular the cancellation policies. If it was non-refundable from the start then it would remain so. If it wasn't then some contracts will only penalize you an extra night and refund the remaining nights if you cancel during your stay.

The constant humming noise from the drill must be very annoying.

This sounds silly but if they will only move you to a quieter room then see if they can lean something up against the window to try and muffle the sounds, like a doona or a mattress. Alternatively, it may be better to fork out the extra money to stay at the sister hotel, you have already paid a lot and a little more may make all the difference between a miserable holiday and a nice one.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In HK - Hotel has MAJOR construction work, advice needed

And....which hotel would this be? Why be so coy about naming and shaming?

Level Contributor
4,195 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In HK - Hotel has MAJOR construction work, advice needed

I have been wondering about that too. Most tourists do not fly several thousand miles and stay in their rooms all day as if there is nothing else better to do.

However, the situation is quite typical of HK style of doing business for not warning upfront because the hotel is likely worried about guests not coming.

The hotel probably should have posted a notice on its web site and a warning in the booking confirmation. However, as I have said, most tourists will not be staying the whole day in their rooms, so any construction noises during the day will affect a very small minority of guests.

Earlier this year, I went to London and stayed at the Radisson Berkshire, just off Oxford Street across from Bond tube station. There were a lot of construction going on at the Bond tube station and nearby. Traffic was on diversion on Oxford Street. The taxi rank in front of Debenham was temporarily cancelled and virtually no bus was running along Oxford Street. There was a prominent notice at the hotel's web site with an e-mail contact. So, I contacted the hotel and monitored posting here at TA. I was given the assurance that everything should be quite tolerable. I was offered to move my booking to another Radisson in London. At the end, I stayed at the hotel and there was no issue for other than a mild inconvenience. However, I spent very little time in the room during the day.

Edited: 25 November 2011, 15:59
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In HK - Hotel has MAJOR construction work, advice needed

No workers in a hotel will announce "hey we have some contruction works next to our hotel... it would be very noisy during the day... come stay with us at your own risk...". Even if challenged they would say this is something beyond the control of the hotel. Which is true.

If they have a pool that is supposed to be available for use but it is not, that's a different situation and they are obligated to disclose that.

It is really hard. Visitors do not have visibility into the local situation when booking a hotel. I stayed in Jiangguo Hotel in Guangzhou this May and next to the hotel they are excavating earth to prepare for the basement of a big building. The earth moving work was 24 hour non-stop. The noise affected my sleeps but fortunate for me it was only 2 nights. I was not able to pick that up from any review before hand.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,081 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: In HK - Hotel has MAJOR construction work, advice needed

Hotels do announce constructions and renovations on websites, or through travel agents, and signage on the property, IF it is the hotel's own renovations. However, if it is a third party, outside the hotel doing constructions, or renovations, then no, the hotel will not make any announcement or notice to guests as it really isnt up to them to do so since they dont have any control over the situation.

Hope you do get some arrangement that can help your stay to be more pleasant....

Australia
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: In HK - Hotel has MAJOR construction work, advice needed

<I have been wondering about that too. Most tourists do not fly several thousand miles and stay in their rooms all day as if there is nothing else better to do>

I think that's a bit harsh, Teddy, considering the OP did clearly state that they require plenty of rest, and not because they purposely choose not to go out. If someone would rather stay in their hotel room for some odd reason, then, that's a different matter completely to this situation.

Agree with Katetam - I've never come across any hotels who advertise that other properties are doing renovations/construction work.

FussyOldBird, I hope the situation has improved, and that you've managed to be moved (or receive a refund) to a quieter room. I really hope, as others said, that you'll still enjoy your time in HK, even despite this annoyance, which I hope has already been resolved.

Wishing you all the very best! :)