We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

december weather packing advice needed

Which Hong Kong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cheshire uk
Level Contributor
126 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
december weather packing advice needed

Hi we are in HK fr two days 18th / 19th december on route to Sydney. Plan to be on the go a lot and have been looking at weather which appears mixed.

Would appreciate advice re what to pack as trying to keep weight limit down and OZ will be summer clothing.

Is it jeans and sweatshirt weather or might we manage shorts.

thanks

1. Re: december weather packing advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2012, 21:27
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,418 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: december weather packing advice needed

Temperatures can vary quite a bit. The low yesterday morning was 10 degrees, but it was in the mid 20s last week. 15 to 20 is the usual safe bet but check the HK Observatory website for updates.

http://www.hko.gov.hk/wxinfo/currwx/fnd.htm

Australia
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: december weather packing advice needed

Unfortunately, our weather has been very strange here - We've all been wondering where Summer has gone because we've had hot weather, cold weather, buckets of rain, hailstorms, etc. - all in the case of a week! I anticipate that the weather will be getting hotter though ... I guess, depending where you're going as well! Be sure to check here for weather in Australia: http://www.bom.gov.au/

Unless you're quite sensitive to the cold, I think a light jacket would be okay (you'll probably need a jacket here too, but probably not at the same time! Very strange weather these days!). I probably wouldn't wear shorts, unless you really don't mind the cold, particularly on days where the temperature has dropped. Mid 20 degrees is probably shorts weather for some though, but, maybe not 10 degrees or less.

Do keep your eye out on the HK Observatory's 7-day forecast, as Sammyfloyd has posted, and keep your eye out on the BOM site too, as that will help you with packing.

Good luck with your planning and have a GREAT time in HK and Australia! :)

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: december weather packing advice needed

Hi, as you will be going over to Sydney also;yes,it is summer there,though temperatures in the evenings also dip-as such- if you are wearing a thick jacket whilst making your trip to airport in UK, you may not want to bring it along with you-possibly store in locker,for you to pick it back when you return;then for HK and Sydney- scarf, a cashmere/merino wool is the best, or a virgin wool L/S shirt( I love my Pendleton for this), or a fleece jacket with interlaying should suffice.

Because of the canyon effect felt in HK, rarely feel the cool,and it is the air conditioned mall that suddenly gives the thermal shock.

Though HK is a fashionista bandwagon- you will see OL with fur lined high boots, thick jacket--like it is subzero temperatures for them.

5. Re: december weather packing advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2012, 10:20