We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hong Kong weather

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
114 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hong Kong weather

I am intend to visit Hong kong next week for 6 days travel. I am very stressed from the weather. I read at the forecast that all the waak will be rainy! I have never been in Hong kong; & I dont know - is it a tropical rain; like in Thailand; that we can continue with the trip although the rain? Or is it a kind of rain like in the I know in the middle east; strong & cold & really unpleasent to be on the street?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,375 posts
6,130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hong Kong weather

I wouldn't cancel your trip just yet!

While its possible to have rain at anytime of the year, we are actually in the middle of our dry season so any rains are most likely going to be short, moderate if we even have them at all. Its quite unlikely that we will have long lasting rain at this time of year and it is even more doubtful that we will have anything like the heavy downpour rains that are experienced in Thailand, as you referenced above. I've been in those, they are heavy and can wreck your day!

Also, you will be pleased to know that unlike Bangkok and areas in Thailand, Hong Kong is built for the rain, because we do have our fair share during the rainy and typhoon season, which is not at this time of year.

Therefore, even if it does rain, this doesn't really cause you the same problems you have faced elsewhere. In HK, you'll find miles of covered walkways, overpass bridges, passage-ways and subway tunnels, allowing you to move around, without getting wet from rain.

Also, the MTR station pretty much gets you pretty close to where ever you need to go so you needn't walk out in the rain if you don't want to. To be honest, we hardly touch our umbrellas until probably until late April or early May each year.

So just come on over to HK and enjoy your stay. I think you'll be fine.

Tin
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hong Kong weather

The forecasted rain is light. Hong Kong is in its winter, the rain is different from those in summer.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
114 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hong Kong weather

Ho! Thank you very much for the information! Now I feel much more calm!

I tink that the kids would be very dissapointed if it will be full of rain at Asia Disney & they wo'nt be able to play there..

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,375 posts
6,130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hong Kong weather

If you are here for a week, you will have some dry days for sure... Perfect for Disney.

Lisse, The...
Level Contributor
725 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hong Kong weather

We are traveling to Hong Kong next week to be there at CNY. But as said bij Iris the weather forecast looks very bad. Even the forecast of the Hong Kong Observatoty says a lot of rain is predicted for the weekend. We are arriving friday over a week and hope it will be dry again by that time. Do we need rain jackets and / or warm clothes for this period?

Swden
Level Contributor
176 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hong Kong weather

I am also wondering just how cold it is going to feel over CNY. The long term forecast looks a bit bleak at the moment.

Save Reply
7. Re: Hong Kong weather

Hi, I will be in hong kong from the 2 Feb to the 5 Feb , bringing my gal to Disney... And I'm struggle to buy sweaters/jackets for her as nowadays the weather is so unpredictable, dun wanna get to thin or too thick.. Any advise ?

Save Reply
8. Re: Hong Kong weather

Hi, I will be in hong kong from the 2 Feb to the 5 Feb , bringing my gal to Disney... And I'm struggle to buy sweaters/jackets for her as nowadays the weather is so unpredictable, dun wanna get to thin or too thick.. Any advise ?

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
11,954 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hong Kong weather

I'm arriving next week & haven't checked the weather forecast. Hopefully it'll be a lot nicer than the previous posts suggest :)

I'm sure it'll be a lot warmer than Northen England anyway

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,375 posts
6,130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hong Kong weather

Only advise at the moment is to watch the HK Observatory. The weather does appear to be bleak this coming weekend and possibly for early next week. It does seem highly possible that we will experience some rain here. Not ideal but at least they are not expecting it to drive the temperatures particularly low (14-18 cel.) over the next week.

CNY is still almost two weeks ago, just keep your eyes open and ears peeled, concerning the weather. We'll know more a week from now.